The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Alfa 8C Competizione

bmx1lew

Old news I think. It's gone into production, all sold already I think. Maserati engine. My Alfa wasn't particularly unreliable. The major problems I heard of from the time I spent in rec.autos.alfa-romeo were generally related to Alfa not giving a realistic life-span on the cambelts so the cars would look more viable as lease cars, when in reality they needed changing at 48,000 miles ish.

There aren't any rust problems any more, except for mild steel exhaust pipes..

Oh actually I forgot.. my gearbox started breaking up inside at ~12,000 miles and had to be replaced. Hmmm :taped: ;)

Alfa, not alpha! I think it's something to do with the proper back to basics sports car feel of some of them.. perhaps only older ones (GTV was a bit like being in a WW2 plane cockpit.. except more modern of course). There's a certain buzzy feel about driving some of them, and up until recently (156, 147), who would choose one except for somebody who really wanted something a little bit different.. a poor mans distant link to Ferrari, putting up with quirks and potential unreliability. They always (usually) sound nice and some of them handle well.

There was definately a buzzy feeling about lifting the clutch up in 1st gear and pulling off in my GTV. It was only a 2 litre but there was something about it. The oddly huge gear selector, which just felt good. The dials which started at 6'o'clock in their deep binnacles, and of course an all round nice leathery smell and feel.