The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The perfect 1/4 mile?

Jamesy

Just wondering, with all these 1/4 mile times.....

...what is the perfect way to get the best time?

As in:

* should u rev right to the red line or does this waste time?

* When pulling away you obviously dont want to spin the wheels too much and go nowhere so do you give it full throttle before letting out the clutch?

After i finish going BPU i fancy having a little go!!! :eyebrows:

1st run on Sat was getting used to it again - forgto I had put it in manu and bounced off the rev limit.

Using Manu I tried to change just before the rev limit I found the performace tended to dip round the red line.

Not a blur 13 second still gives you plenty of time to look round at the scenery ;)

Im an auto but launch revs depend on the grip available on the day IMO!

Saturday at the pod the grip just was not there earlier in the day and I tried to launch on boost (approx about 2000-2100 rpm) and I just span the rears.

I may try 18's with some decent tyres on next time Rob and see if warming the tyres makes any difference -at the minute im not convinced it does unless running alot of power.

Did really see it as a waste of time,

I had to laugh on Saturday there was a meastro that had a turbo conversion done which I was up against. As we were queueing, he shouted over that he was going to cut across me to go on the inside lane to which I replied is there much point? being the Chav he was he responded with, well someones taking a picture so im going in that lane and im going to kick your arse!

I started to chuckle when the marshal insisted on the lane he went to and then walked him to it, I laughed even more when he did a burn out whilst looking across at me that would put some of the pros to shame.

And then I could not contain myself when his engine let go on the very next run!

Did really see it as a waste of time,

I had to laugh on Saturday there was a meastro that had a turbo conversion done which I was up against. As we were queueing, he shouted over that he was going to cut across me to go on the inside lane to which I replied is there much point? being the Chav he was he responded with, well someones taking a picture so im going in that lane and im going to kick your arse!

I started to chuckle when the marshal insisted on the lane he went to and then walked him to it, I laughed even more when he did a burn out whilst looking across at me that would put some of the pros to shame.

And then I could not contain myself when his engine let go on the very next run!

one word... KARMA! love it!! :D

on paper its pretty simple, you want to lauch your car with as much power as possible without spinning your wheels. which means you find the point at which you can lauch with as much revs as possible without it causing wheels spin.

Dont know what that would be on a stock manual but with a AUTO TT you need to put the brakes on as hard as poss then put the revs up to as high as possible so that they still hold the power (which tends to be just over 2000rpm)

On standard road tires I hold it on the handbrake at about 4000 and just drop the clutch. The last time i did that the best i got was a 13.1 at 119mph athough after the 5th run the clutch was well and truely knackered.

I'm running BPU and running on 1.2 at the time although I now have a stage 3 RPS clutch and segmented flywheel but havent have chance to test it on the strip. Better tires and I should be in the 12's

edit: oh and i'm 6speed aswell

I tried having a go when the car was stock so I had something to compare it too! stock runs were 14.6 @ 99 MPH which was ok but I could have tried harder. On sat at BPU I ran 13.5 at 109 which I was well impressed with.

EVE's car was doing 13.9 stock at crail.

1st run on Sat was getting used to it again - forgto I had put it in manu and bounced off the rev limit.

Using Manu I tried to change just before the rev limit I found the performace tended to dip round the red line.

Not a blur 13 second still gives you plenty of time to look round at the scenery ;)

HI Fella. You going to Charnley?? If so, i,ll bring my slip from the pod earlier in the year. Not a bad time there buddy;):D

EVE's car was doing 13.9 stock at crail.

Thats very good for Stock.

I was talking to a bloke on saturday and he had run alot faster at crail too. He was getting frustrated as he could not get the power down but he did observe that the grip was very poor at Santapod.

Ive only ever run there so I would not know any different.

Unsure if we spoke on Saturday (Apologies, I spoke with a couple of owners but we seemed to be parked all over the place when not running).

A nice time you managed there, agree on the grip - they were going mad with the water and sand.

On my last run (due to JDP blow up and the oil spilling car) I remembered to turn on the boost controller (what a doughnut :rolleyes:) and managed 12.2 @ 130.

Cheers

Aran

When my supe was bpu i used to launch at around 3k rpm. I ran a 13.2 @ 110mph at santapod.

Now that i am single i did a few runs at shakespeare jap racer day and found that i was launching at around 3.5k and managed a 12.4 @ 120.1mph, both on street tyres and trim.

It really depends on grip and getting out of the box is the trickiest bit.

Totally stock, (i.e. with both cats still in etc) my old car (RZ) ran 13.68. Once I'd decatted it and added a fuel cut defender, I managed a 12.87 at TSC2 in Woodbridge about 4 years ago.

I never really got around to running my aerotop TT down the same strip when I ran hybrids, so I don't know if they would have given an advantage over the quicker spooling J-Spec twins or not.

Angies car ran 13.48 in the same trim, but we never got around to modifying it. She ran low 13's (13.17 I think) in a decatted supra at the 'pod.

I always reckon that your 1/4 mile time is made or lost in the first 60ft. You HAVE to get the launch right at the get-go or you might as well abort the run as you're very unlikely to ever make up the time for a bad start..

I always reckon that your 1/4 mile time is made or lost in the first 60ft. You HAVE to get the launch right at the get-go or you might as well abort the run as you're very unlikely to ever make up the time for a bad start..

:yeahthat:

2.0 or 2.1 is very good 60ft time on normal road tyres.

Totally stock, (i.e. with both cats still in etc) my old car (RZ) ran 13.68. Once I'd decatted it and added a fuel cut defender, I managed a 12.87 at TSC2 in Woodbridge about 4 years ago.

great time!! ;)

so a 3,000rpm launch is about the best.