The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Absolutely spanked an M3

fri3ndly

Was on the way home from bluewater yesterday and was trying to stay at about 80mph in the slow lane when we noticed an M3 giving it some past us.

I saw him coming up quite fast behind us and immediately stomped my foot to the floor. We were flung forward and for a few seconds he was infront of us but then i pulled away so much faster than him until I was doing about 140 and he could not keep up.

Was hilarious, I dont think his girlfriend was too impressed. I think he might have gone home that night and put his M3 up for sale!

:D

Lol it wasnt the new shape. Not really sure about the M3 models, but it def was not the new one.

When I said he could not keep up, what I meant was he couldnt keep up with the pace I was going at, obviously he could of got to 140, but maybe they just havent got the torque?

Anyway, I could tell he was trying as we were side by side for a moment and I glanced over at him. After a while I pulled away reaching 140 and he just backed off and didnt come past me after that

Lol it wasnt the new shape. Not really sure about the M3 models, but it def was not the new one.

When I said he could not keep up, what I meant was he couldnt keep up with the pace I was going at, obviously he could of got to 140, but maybe they just havent got the torque?

Anyway, I could tell he was trying as we were side by side for a moment and I glanced over at him. After a while I pulled away reaching 140 and he just backed off and didnt come past me after that

Maybe he thought he needed to keep his license rather than spank you! 140 is asking for a slap from the 'boys in blue' don't you think?

"Could not keep up"? How do you know he was trying?

Feel free to kid yourself but I'm sure an M3 is capable of a lot more than 140mph.

The M3 might be capable of 190-200-300mph but if the guy aint got the balls to do it then the supra wins - its about driving what you have got.

Well done for spanking him :thumbs:

The M3 might be capable of 190-200-300mph but if the guy aint got the balls to do it then the supra wins - its about driving what you have got.

Well done for spanking him :thumbs:

what he said!

a race is a race and it all depends on the drivers abilty and willingness - if you race a Ferrari with a TT stock (obviously a lot slower) and spank it...you still WIN!

;)

I know somone with an M3 e46 and initially he will always get a car length on me but then start to fall behind slowly. they are very well matched cars but I can consistently get ahead as the speed rises.

True, but on very winding roads average driver in stock M3 will always beat average driver in stock MKIV TT. M3's suspension and brakes are amazing piece of art. On the other hand it is a shame that the car looks so boring.

My best mate had the last shape M3. In one year he went through 2 sets of rear springs. He got so bored of having reliability issues with the suspension he ended up selling it. Apparently, this does not apply to the M3 alone, the springs are a real nightmare and a common failing part according to his local dealer - on the 3 series that is.

He now drives an 330Ci and that too has just bust a set of rear springs. I think he has Alpina suspension on his 330Ci if that makes any difference. Funnily enough he is about to give up on BMW's!!!

P.S. he drives like an old woman, and despite owning an M3 always wanted to go for a blast in the Supra. Said it was much more of a fun car!!!

my cousin has had both the old shape and brand new shape M3, after driving them i must say the car is solid and pulls like a train.... but to me is still a very fast saloon/coupe.... whereas the Supra is a bloody fast SPORTS car! ;)

Personally, I think the Supra is too fat to be a sports car. I agree it's better looking than an M3 - but I think of the supra as a very fast saloon / coupe, but one that's got crap rear seats and boot space.

True, but on very winding roads average driver in stock M3 will always beat average driver in stock MKIV TT. M3's suspension and brakes are amazing piece of art. On the other hand it is a shame that the car looks so boring.

M3 brakes are shite, they are famed for it. Suspension/damping is fanatastic though.

Guest supracosworth

I've run my VVTi 6spd TT totally stock 0.8 bar boost with traction control off against my best friend's E46 M3 6 speed. The E46 has a dinan exhaust and switched to power mode (according to him makes a big difference compared with normal driving with the Power button switched off). From a rolling start we're neck to neck with the Supra gaining aproximately half a car length by end of 2nd gear shifting onto third. He then leads and I follow and the E46 cannot get away. When I lead and he follows, if I floor it without warning, the E46 can't keep up.

Now with the cat removed and at 1 to 1.2 bar boost, the M3 does not stand a chance. He refused to run me after he realised what I've done to the car. This little competition of ours has gone on for a number of years since 4 years ago when he was driving a modded late model E36 M3 (i.e. 3.2 litre, rechipped, exhaust, airbox, big rear end) and me on my BPU++ non VVTi 6spd TT running 1.3 bar boost on US spec steel turbines, 550cc injectors and 254 cams. In the old days, his E36 would disappear like a saw dust by end of 4th gear. ... I also own a stock 1999 Z3 M roadster and there's no way in hell the M roadster can keep up with the supra so next time you see a M3 regardless of which version (bar the V8 new car), rest easy, it's a NA afterall. hehe ......

I also own a stock 1999 Z3 M roadster and there's no way in hell the M roadster can keep up with the supra

A friend of mine has a stock '99 Z3 M. With 325bhp (ie. more than a stock TT Supra even at full stock boost - 0.7ish?) and 1340Kg kerb weight (ie. less than a stock TT Supra), it is quicker than a stock TT. From 80 upwards, there's not a whole lot in it, but from a standing start, the BMW is easily quicker. It's a NA afterall.

You need BPU to beat an M-Coupe IMHO.

Guest supracosworth
A friend of mine has a stock '99 Z3 M. With 325bhp (ie. more than a stock TT Supra even at full stock boost - 0.7ish?) and 1340Kg kerb weight (ie. less than a stock TT Supra), it is quicker than a stock TT. From 80 upwards, there's not a whole lot in it, but from a standing start, the BMW is easily quicker. It's a NA afterall.

You need BPU to beat an M-Coupe IMHO.

You are right in that from a standing start the M roadster could be quicker but on a rolling start past the 2nd gear, it doesn't even come close. Don't forget the stock TT is not 280hp, it's at least 320hp even in stock form. The roadster does not have torque like the supra and on a roll, you can't just mash the throttle to the floor and expect it to go fast, the roadster needs to match throttle to speed before it picks up its skirt and go.

You are right in that from a standing start the M roadster could be quicker but on a rolling start past the 2nd gear, it doesn't even come close. Don't forget the stock TT is not 280hp, it's at least 320hp even in stock form. The roadster does not have torque like the supra and on a roll, you can't just mash the throttle to the floor and expect it to go fast, the roadster needs to match throttle to speed before it picks up its skirt and go.

How does that make sense? Even at 320hp it's still less than he quoted for the M coupe, and the TT is heavier car. There would have to be a BIG difference in drag coefficient for the Supra to be quicker from second gear.

Quoting roll on torque also seems a little unfair - the TT has to have the 2nd turbo spinning to really be accelerating - I find it hard to believe an NA car is as peaky.

Guest supracosworth
How does that make sense? Even at 320hp it's still less than he quoted for the M coupe, and the TT is heavier car. There would have to be a BIG difference in drag coefficient for the Supra to be quicker from second gear.

Quoting roll on torque also seems a little unfair - the TT has to have the 2nd turbo spinning to really be accelerating - I find it hard to believe an NA car is as peaky.

Look at the torque curve of a supra TT and a Z3M and you'll see the light. Drive both a TT and a M3 (doesn't matter whether its the E36 and E46) and you'll understand. Below 4,500 rpm, the Z3 feels decidingly limpid in 3rd gear and above. There are embarassing moments when you can't drop a gear (e.g. doing 120 kph in 3rd) but the power doesn't quite come online and there's been many times I got spanked bad by the likes of Cayenne S while crusiing along in the M roadster. It's all because of the torque or rather the lack of. In the roadster, the last 3 gears only feels fast if you keep wringing it at 6k and above. Not a chance of getting caught in situations like that in the supra.

I own both and I've no reason to trash one over the other. These are the two cars I drive most and when I'm not in a hurry, I actually prefer driving the roadster more than the supra just because it's more comfortable and refined. I know however which car I'll take if I'm going for a Sunday morning drive with the Porsche and M3 crowd.