The mkiv Supra Owners Club

supercharger broke!! with pics

Shane

Spent the last 3 days ironing out the last little problems and getting it back together. The plan was to have it all fitted and drive to pod but with the bypass valve open so it wouldn't see boost. I know there are a few people on here who wanted to hear and see it.

So, had it all back together, running, blip the throttle and hey presto boost showing on the gauge. Frigged the bypass valve so I could use it and it was fine.

Took it for a little test drive and all was well, eye close on the AFR and boost gauge and it all felt good. The Bypass was held open so it could not boostanyhow. All of a sudden all my warning lights came up and I suspected the aux belt had thrown. Would not have been surprised as some of the major work has been to do with the belt and pulleys. But to my horror the drive shaft to the charger has snapped. Had to get a tow home, not sure what the worse thing was, breaking my baby or being towed by a scooby. Never thought I would be stuck behind one of them :)

Anyhow I have now stripped it all again for the umpteenth time and made a make shift induction kit so I can use it tomorrow for pod.

All the people who wanted to see it still can, but not in situ anymore, I will sick all the stuff in the boot. At least this way those of you who fancy a go at doing it can see whats involved.

I don't suppose it was ever going to be easy or else someone would have done it by now. Annoyingly it now looks like next weekend at the earliest before i will get it back together.

Most of the bits

And finally, the best get me to pod induction kit there is for a supra, I was thinking of flogging the design, any takers;)

The shaft was probably out of alignment, looks like a fatigue crack to me.

Possibly, what you can't see from the pictures (but you probably already know this) is that the threaded part of the SC shaft has sheared inside the new extension shaft. I am wondering if we miss-measured where the thread ended and the new shaft was not butted up against the old meaning all the energy is on the thread. If so that would have the same effect of over tightening a bolt, and if you look down the end of the shaft that's exactly what it looks likes like, a sheared bolt. Probably sleeve and pin it or even look at putting a little cv joint in line next in case there is any miss-alignment.

There are some very good, small flexible coupling available nowadays, you might look at these, something like the rear propshaft doughnut, but a lot smaller. Bearing Service have catalogues. They might be called something else now, I think they were taken over. Could be as you say though, the thread was taking the torque.

There are some very good, small flexible coupling available nowadays, you might look at these, something like the rear propshaft doughnut, but a lot smaller. Bearing Service have catalogues. They might be called something else now, I think they were taken over. Could be as you say though, the thread was taking the torque.

Yes this was along the lines I was thinking Chris. Would be much more forgiving if I could find something like that. Not overly concerned at this point, but need to make sure next time it is right as there is not enough shaft left to get it wrong again.

oooh that would be cool, good luck with it ill follow your progress i think !!!!

Have a look at Eaton's website, lots of info on there. If you want to know more still, there is a book called DIY street supercharging or something very similar. Loads of good advice and info in this. Always see it on ebay for next to nothing.