The mkiv Supra Owners Club

engine and gearbox

grahamc

ok lets say you were building a supra up from a shell and you want something a little different...

what engine gearbox combo would you go for? Not F1 engine, or 1.3 or things like that....

skyline engine and gearbox - I know its been done... can you use the AWD system?

Well the bay is long enough for a straight 6 and IIRC people have also fitted a V8 in there, too.

So... if its long enough for a six and wide enough for a V8 then a V12 should slot in nicely :)

A rear-mounted gearbox would be nice to maintain the weight balance.. No idea who's though.

ok lets say you were building a supra up from a shell and you want something a little different...

what engine gearbox combo would you go for? Not F1 engine, or 1.3 or things like that....

skyline engine and gearbox - I know its been done... can you use the AWD system?

5.7 Chevy V8 (or larger if you can afford it) :D Massive torque out of the crate and if you have an additional £10k to spare you can build one that would develop the same power as a mid size single, but have MUCH more low down torque.

The modern V8's are much lighter too, and gives you the chance to mount it further back on the chassis.

Gearbox wise, it could be tricky but the corvette system would be a great place to start. They're relatively cheap and readily available.

4WD would be unbelievably expensive to design and build. You'd need a full Skyline system with massive modification to the Supra chassis

5.7 Chevy V8 (or larger if you can afford it) :D Massive torque out of the crate and if you have an additional £10k to spare you can build one that would develop the same power as a mid size single, but have MUCH more low down torque.

The modern V8's are much lighter too, and gives you the chance to mount it further back on the chassis.

Gearbox wise, it could be tricky but the corvette system would be a great place to start. They're relatively cheap and readily available.

4WD would be unbelievably expensive to design and build. You'd need a full Skyline system with massive modification to the Supra chassis

was thinking that about the awd systems... pity... awd supra hmmm.

Oh well...

Needs to be something light decent power, very responsive, etc

High revving na engine of some sorts?

Needs to be something light decent power, very responsive, etc

High revving na engine of some sorts?

Can't see it working TBH. The Supra shell is pretty heavy (mostly due to the strenghtening), so a small high revving engine isn't really going to work unless you go to extremes, i.e high boosting turbo on a 4 pot.

A small NA is just going to be bogged down anytime it's not at huge rpm.

Have you been for a ride (or driven) a well setup small single Supra like Wez's? The only way I could see an improvement on that and keeping it road legal is a large output V8...

Can't see it working TBH. The Supra shell is pretty heavy (mostly due to the strenghtening), so a small high revving engine isn't really going to work unless you go to extremes, i.e high boosting turbo on a 4 pot.

A small NA is just going to be bogged down anytime it's not at huge rpm.

Have you been for a ride (or driven) a well setup small single Supra like Wez's? The only way I could see an improvement on that and keeping it road legal is a large output V8...

Just thinking of different options really... for the future :D

Just thinking of different options really... for the future :D

All I can say it get a go in Wez's car if you want to see what can be achieved with a properly setup small turbo on the 2JZ. The suspension is horrible, but my god does it accelerate! Can't wait to see what it's like since the cams are in.

To be honest I think even Wez's setup is pushing the limits of what is useful on the road, the only way to "improve" on that is to take away the spool with good old fashioned, big CC power :D

All I can say it get a go in Wez's car if you want to see what can be achieved with a properly setup small turbo on the 2JZ. The suspension is horrible, but my god does it accelerate! Can't wait to see what it's like since the cams are in.

To be honest I think even Wez's setup is pushing the limits of what is useful on the road, the only way to "improve" on that is to take away the spool with good old fashioned, big CC power :D

I go with you Daryl on this one.. Im running wastegate pressure at the moment which is 0.9 Bar and even with suspension like i've got im pushing the limits of road usage... im running arround the 575 mark at this pressure and any more boost pressure in this weather would make my car undrivable on the road.

I've already given this serious thought, and those close to me know I started planning it - but then the idea of a tuning business came up and so I shelved the idea.

I was thinking of a Supra with a ZL1 big block chevy engine, VERY rare and difficult to get hold of but well worth it ! Check the details here http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/FAPC/ZL1Corvette.htm and here http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1969-chevrolet-camaro-zl1.htm

A stock ZL1 corvette broke into the 10s. Now imagine it modified :eyebrows:

With the V8 being shorter, weight moves back into the engine bay and helps balance too. Plus the car would be lighter, in fact the ZL1 block weighs something like 500lbs due to it being aluminium ;) And it's about 500bhp out of the box !

Now THAT is the way to do it ;)

A rear-mounted gearbox would be nice to maintain the weight balance.. No idea who's though.

im sure borg warner would do a box

would be good for race car, but I imagine the maintainence costs would be astronomical...unless you are using it as a track car only

actually scratch that, it looks like a standard viper engine

I go with you Daryl on this one.. Im running wastegate pressure at the moment which is 0.9 Bar and even with suspension like i've got im pushing the limits of road usage... im running arround the 575 mark at this pressure and any more boost pressure in this weather would make my car undrivable on the road.

This is not about power only! Its just something different, something very driveable, trying to move the weight in the engine bay around, balancing the car, etc...

I've already given this serious thought, and those close to me know I started planning it - but then the idea of a tuning business came up and so I shelved the idea.

I was thinking of a Supra with a ZL1 big block chevy engine, VERY rare and difficult to get hold of but well worth it ! Check the details here http://www.autofacts.ca/classics/FAPC/ZL1Corvette.htm and here http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1969-chevrolet-camaro-zl1.htm

A stock ZL1 corvette broke into the 10s. Now imagine it modified :eyebrows:

With the V8 being shorter, weight moves back into the engine bay and helps balance too. Plus the car would be lighter, in fact the ZL1 block weighs something like 500lbs due to it being aluminium ;) And it's about 500bhp out of the box !

Now THAT is the way to do it ;)

Sounds entertaining and costly :blink:

Ferrari 599 gtb engine is the way, could be more costly than a single conversion though.

Way to expensive, especially for parts!

Vette's transaxel gearbox won't fit in the rear subframe. You could bring the (not the vette one) gearbox forward so it's infront of the subframe but you'd need to move the fuel tank and have some huge support assemblies to carry the thing. TBH I think it's a non-starter.

You could supercharge a BMW 5.3 V12.

What other gearboxes fit the 2JZ?

What about a couple of mid mounted turbo'd busa engines :D

As done on an ultima: http://www.zcars.org.uk/ultima/index.htm

Are multiple engined machines allowed on the road, I seem to remember reading something about them not being able to have more than one engine engaged for road use (Could be way off, just remember some renault 5 years back which had two but couldn't use the second engine)