The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Mapping E-manage for a VVTi

supraguye

A mate of mine is pulling his E-manage Ultimate off a celica GT-4. I am considering buying it off him, but, here's my problem, I live in the caribbean and getting someone to Map it for my VVTI is a bit of an issue.

Can you guys make any reccomendations in terms of what would be the next best steps?

Can I log data send it up and get someone to send me maps?

Thanks

Alex is your man for this.

:rlol:

2 ticks just eating an ice cream :)

EDIT: Finished the cornetto! :D

Take the eManage by all means, but I would invest in a full set or new harnesses and optional extras. PM "Nic" on here for the full list of harness components.

Once you've got it installed (and you will need to know your VVTi pin out's to do it) then it's all about the map. There are no base maps for VVTi supra's on an EMU that I know of. So I would fit it whilst you're stock and with the map Zero'd and then tweak the stock setup...take datalogs and see where you're running too much fuel....

I feel for you in your situation as you're stuck somewhere where I'm guessing there's a lack of people on hand that can readily help so it will all be by-proxy. You must consider this before you start, who's going to help when things go wrong? You have a model of Supra that's very rare. And it's very different than the previous versions so you have to be really sure before deciding to tinker with it.

Having spent a few moments thinking about this I'd have to ask what your motivation is for fitting the EMU? Do you need the hassle? Without the support around you?

Thanks Alex.

The things is, my supra right now is BPU.... and has been for a while, and being honest.... right now, its getting a tad boring. I've read on the forum that you can gain as much as 30 HP with a good tune.... so thats the first motive

I am not certain about going single as yet, as it really all depends on how I'm going to be able to tune it.

Really, at the end of the day, if there's going to be a good chance of me blowing up something, then I'm not going to bother with it. In all honesty, I don't want to be the one to be messing with fuel and timing, I prefer it be done by someone who has some good experience under their belt. That's why I was investigating the possibility of doing logs and based on those getting someone to work on maps for me. I am not certain if that is even possible with the EMU.

I know a friend of mine does this with his evo vii, but he uses some system which allows him to mess with his TOMEI ECU.

If you get it fitted and do lots of logging etc you can definately improve the stock setup by reducing fueling...

As long as you don't go crazy and also don't expect the earth then I think you can net some nice results...and put yourself in the driving seat for further modding later.

Yeah if you fly me out there ;) (and drug my milk, I hate flying)

The fuelling could be adjusted remotely via email logs around but there is nothing that can be done about the timing, and that's a rather vital area.

You can plumb the innovative and the AEM widebands straight into the E-Manage Ultimate and datalog the voltage along with everything else so no messing about with matching two graphs up :) You can take soem fuel out up top to get it out of the 10:1s and that'll sharpen it up. And as Ryan says, most BPUs get some pings of det at the transition point so taking a couple of degrees timing out there is important if the VVTi acts the same. Having said that it'll close the FBW throttle if it senses det so who knows how it'll behave.

As Alex said, you've got a bit of a mission being out there with that version of this car ;)

-Ian

Guys,

Thanks for all the help so far, after a good night's rest and reading all your posts, here's what i figure:

-Buy the E-manage.

-As per your suggestions, plumb a Wideband into it.

-Tinker with the fueling a bit to see how much extra juice I can get out of my setup.

-Later on, if i decide to go single, buy and install all my parts in advance, then go to the pharmacy to shop for IanC :D

I know working with a VVT supra out here is a challenge, but hey, it's all worth it when i get behind the wheel. And besides, thus far, I found a solution to any problem I've had on this site ... so hey ... I'm sure this e-manage thing will be no different.

Guest supracosworth

Hi, I've been posting on the other thread re woes with tuning the E-manage Ultimate. Like you supraguye, I'm trying to install the e-manage Ultimate on my 2000 VVTi TT 6spd. My goals in installing the EMU are:-

1. remove 180kph speed limit (but opinions seem to divide whether this is acheiveable with the VVTi)

2. controls boost to 1 bar with 1.2 overboost to protect the ceramic turbos

3. datalog with LM-1 to see if there's a need to change the 440cc injectors to 550 or higher

So far I've got the EMU and the harness kit with two connectors designed for the Blue and the extra 14 pin connector for controlling injector duty cycle. I've yet to get the injector control add-on device that Nic talked about and I'm considering whether to get another set of LM-1 as I've just installed the one I have on my turbo miata. Speaking of the LM-1, do you all hardwire it to your car or just use it for tuning and then remove it from the car?

The dilemma I'm facing now, and on which I would appreciate comments from the experienced members on this forum, is whether I should be running the EMU or the Blue. Again my goals is not on maximising power, I just want a safe map to run 1 to 1.2 bar and I can live with a rich map at that. After reading your posts on the EMU, my thoughts for and against the EMU are as follows:-

For the EMU (compared against the Blue):

1. autotune with LM-1 based on AFR targets which is the main reason why I want to go for the EMU

2. more accurate control on larger injectors should my 440cc proved to be insufficient to support 1.2 bar

3. two knock sensor inputs although I haven't figured out whether this is a dedicated function of the EMU for monitoring detonation or just like other analog input options that require the user to tell the EMU what to do with the numbers

Against the EMU

1. From reading the posts here, the EMU seems to be less stable than the Blue. I've got an early version C (serial no. 2010) and I'm not sure after reading Mohd's site whether this is a guinea pig version compared with the version D and version E. Some posts report timing figures all over the place (Ian C? Tricky-Ricky? Nic? can't remember exactly who said what)

2. EMU won't work with my PROFEC E-01. I want the ability to be able to read into all datas at any time (though I won't touch the maps with the commander and the small screen) without the need to have a laptop in the car all the time and the E-01 allows me to do that. The E-01 gives me the convenience of saving all data on a SD card which I can take home and analyse at my leisure.

3. Ability of the E-01 to control boost at 10 rpm points. Though this function of the E-01 can be used independently of whether a EMU or Blue is installed, I like the ability to integrate control instead of having to work with two separate systems.

My current thinking is since I don't think I'll be touching the maps much (I just want to make sure that I have safe maps for running 1.2 bar overboost), I might as well install the spare Blue I have lying around and make it work with the E-01. Am I on the right track or have I missed some consideration? Is the EMU stability issue still a concern? One last question, how do you calibrate the LM-1 with the EMU or Blue to ensure that the AFR values read the same as teh LM-1 own software? Is this an irrelevant question because 3 volt will always be 3 volt regardless of whether it's read by the EMU/Blue or the LM-1 software? Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...