The mkiv Supra Owners Club

was it safe to remove

SupraD06

hi all, bit late now as ive taken it off and had a kit fitted on now but is it safe to remove the steal bar that protects the front of the car incase of a crash, ive noticed on most peoples car that it must have been removed or it would be visible when you have a wide mouth kit?

It would make me cringe driving mine without the crash bar. :eek: IIRC they're used to distribute the force of a collision across the entire front of the car, preventing whatever it is you've hit from slicing through one corner (like the driver's side in a head on).

Hmm!! Not good this, I think I would rather have the maximum crash protection than anything else but as Gaz said, you pays your money and takes your chances. Do your passengers feel the same though!:blink:

Looking good over safety is never a good combination!

H.

Maybe I'm getting confused between modern crash bars and the one on the supra. I'm thinking of the recent fifth gear with a small modern family car against a big 'ol volvo, crashing driver's side to driver's side (basically headlight to headlight) at 40mph.

The modern family car distributed the shock of the impact along the whole front of the car using the crash bar, so although there was virtually nothing left of the engine bay, the passenger compartment was untouched. The volvo on the other hand was a mess - the one side of the car that had been hit simply couldn't dissipate the force across a wide enough area, so the impact had reached the driver - the passenger compartment was wrecked.

Guest CoolsBlue

think about it, a little alloy bar wont stop the front of the car getting smashed in thats why its actually called the BUMPER REINFORCEMENT BAR its to do with the bumper and the sponge bit, nothing to help prevent damage to the car, ever seen a crashed supra with one of them bars on? they get destroyed!

think about it, a little alloy bar wont stop the front of the car getting smashed in thats why its actually called the BUMPER REINFORCEMENT BAR its to do with the bumper and the sponge bit, nothing to help prevent damage to the car, ever seen a crashed supra with one of them bars on? they get destroyed!

I disagree, that ally bar will absorb impact which is what it is designed to do - dissapate energy before it reaches the cabin.

In an accident we could be talking about a few cm's of cabin intrusion causing serious leg injuries to the occupants.

But style wins through :)

think about it, a little alloy bar wont stop the front of the car getting smashed in

They're not supposed to. They're supposed to absorb the impact of the crash, not survive it. Ideally you want the front of the car to take the full force, so the passenger cell doesn't.