The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Some boost controller pipe help PLEASE!!!

M4RK RZ

Hi :sos:

OK so boost controller (HKS EVC VI) fitted - wired and plumed in.

And the result? - Standard boost only - 68kpa to 77 kpa (0.68 to 0.77 Bar)

I have been thro all the settings on the HKS controller and they all seem to be correct - there is a MAX baseline/default boost option on initial set up that I have set at 0.7 bar. The instructions refer to this as the boost pressure the system returns to on fault/your starting default pressure.

I then set A and B boost options - one at 0.7 (just because) and the other at 1 bar - I then set the scramble to add 0.2 bar for 20 seconds to the upper 1bar setting (1.2 bar in total)

No matter what or How I fiddle with the settings - I only sit at 0.68 to 0.77 bar

soooo im wondering If I have piped up correctly?

We followed the diagram attached to this post from the manual - I have also attached a pic of a supra engine to show where I tapped in. A (Air flow from both turbos) B Actuator points that used to lead to toyota control valve (Back thro upper hard pipes front T1 into actuator itself.)

Did I go wrong? :search: I have capped off both ports on both of the toyota solinoid valves totaly - they are still plugged electricaly tho (can I take these off the car totaly or do they need to be plugged in for the ECU's sake?)

:giveup:

supra69.jpg

HKS forum diagram.JPG

Under_Bonnet_Vacuum_Lines.jpg

vacuum_path_hotspots.gif

I also found this - It was recomended by some one on here in a post search I did

How can you controll the boost doing it this way? If you do it this way then surley you can only control T1 boost and T2 is not controlled by the ECV at all?

I AM SO FU~KING CONFUSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:taped::blink:

Boostcontdiagram1.jpg

Turbo 2 doesn't have a wastegate, only Turbo 1 (nearest front of engine bay). the Wastegate you are referring to for T2 is the exhaust bypass valve or something. I believe you only intercept the pipe from T1 to the actuator and blank off the return pipe from the actuator to the VSV (do the same on VSV)

Tapping into the pipe (A) you've marked with a 'T' looks wrong, but may be corrected...

Certainly not the pipes you've got pictured there matey!

Have a look at this from mkiv.com, it's for the ACVR but the points should be the same for the HKS, you'll just need the extra line running from the inlet manifold:

i think the line you've tee'd into runs from the pressure tank so it won't be getting a true pressure reading from the manifold.

I have seen that diagram mate - but it makes no sence to me?

That is just controlling the boost to T1 and T2 is doing whatever the VSV /ECU is telling it to do?

The line that I T-eeed into was (is) the only option as shown in the HKS diagram for connection A

T2 won't spool up until various other valves let it, so to speak. T2 won't be doing it's own thing as the system is sequential rather than parallel.

It's how most other boost controllers are installed afaik, I had my GReddy plumbed into the same points.

I think the 1st diagram shows a parallel setup (e.g. 300zx, GTO), rather than a sequential one like the Supra.

:edit: I'm crap at explaining things, but this should make it clearer: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=35926 :D

T2 won't spool up until T1 lets it, so to speak. T2 won't be doing it's own thing as the system is sequential rather than parallel.

It's how most other boost controllers are installed afaik, I had my GReddy plumbed into the same points.

I think the 1st diagram shows a parallel setup (e.g. 300zx, GTO), rather than a sequential one like the Supra.

I wondered about this too. Are you saying that the HKS diagram is for a TTC set up? and not for the turbo's to work in sequential fashion?

How does your greddy work mate? - does it control what you would expect it to do?

drat, didn't get the edit in quick enough :D

In a way, yes. Cars like the GTO and 300zx run the two turbos at the same time, where-as the Supra runs t1 first, then starts spooling t2, before 'switching' and opening them both up. There's only the one wastegate that regulates the turbos, the other actuators are for the sequential operation and are controlled, i think, by the ecu.

My GReddy was fine, no probs at all, happily boosted to 1.2bar with ease. :)

drat, didn't get the edit in quick enough :D

In a way, yes. Cars like the GTO and 300zx run the two turbos at the same time, where-as the Supra runs t1 first, then starts spooling t2, before 'switching' and opening them both up. There's only the one wastegate that regulates the turbos, the other actuators are for the sequential operation and are controlled, i think, by the ecu.

My GReddy was fine, no probs at all, happily boosted to 1.2bar with ease. :)

Ok - if that is the case then my life in boost controller land is plain sailing - thats an easy set up.

Tonight Ill have a nosey and see what happens. Im going to put it back to stock on the rear end using the original VSV. Then on front I will block off one VSV port (heading to actuator).

Ill try running again to check boost and switch over times.

Unless I'm mistaken, you should be able to tee-off from the line for the dump-valve to get the pressure reading (for EVC inlet "B")

I already have the pressure reading I need from the inlet manifold mate :) that was the easy bit - your right with your suggestions.

Im still amazed regarding the lack of knowladge into this subject by members tho! I thought this one would get alot of "this is how to do it" replys . Nether the less it looks like im almost there :)

Cheers mate

Im still amazed regarding the lack of knowladge into this subject by members tho! I thought this one would get alot of "this is how to do it" replys . Nether the less it looks like im almost there :)

Cheers mate

It may be because this is Supra Chat, and this is a technical question. Some people only peruse particular parts of the forum, so the techies may not have seen your post here.

Hope you get it sorted. :) The instructions looked really confusing and unnecessary.

J

Ok so -

I pre set 2 boost levels to try out - 0.7 (70kpa) and 1.0 Bar (100Kpa)

Held perfect on 0.7 with boost controller topping at 0.7 :)

Held very well at 1.0 Bar with boost controller showing 109kpa

Scramble boost I set to 125KPA - Ran out of road + the Mrs phoned up my tea was ready - on the table - for last 2 hours lol (sees the big thumb coming down)

So ill try 125 kpa again today on way to Wraith motorsport at 1pm. Going to get Mark to give it the once over to check im somewhat in the right.

I put the HKS valve straight to the 1st actuator and put the rest all back to stock. I SURE this is not the was to do it tho.......because........... (read on)

I never bothered too much with the full JAP instructions in the HKS box (it was ALL in JAP no English at all) So I down loaded NIC's version from his web space.

ERROR! nic has pages missing in his HKS EVC PDF document !! As I thumbed through it last night I saw a further 3rd diagram with "2JZ-GTE" and the engine cover "3000" logo. This set up is again totaly different!

Where I had "T" off the pipe marked with the red "T" at begining of post - well it turns out that is correct! - but I have to link up to the pressure chamber as a replacement pipe straight to the air rail. I need to show Mark at Wraith the diagram - but it defo acts on both actuators so you can control the pressure to each (well make the pressure the same is what I mean)

Ill post up what the opinion is this afternoon - Thanks for asking mate :thumbs:

I think getting the system to work in the dark is an acheivment in itself :)