The mkiv Supra Owners Club

:( Blown Engine

rob wild

To say that I’m gutted is a massive understatement!!!! The car’s been a daily driver for me to get to work for years.

Anyway it started fine this morning as usual, got onto a dual carriage way and it started to accelerated (not hard 0.8bar) and all of a sudden the car stuttered looked over at the AFR gauge and it was right round at 18 :( Anyway back off right away and got round the corner fortunately where my dad lives and abandoned the car their. On further inspection the FPR pipe had come off :blink: after replacing the pipe the car starts and drives but is running really rough and when driving it home slowly their looks to be blue/black smoke :( Which is never a good sign. I'm going to have another look tomorrow at the plugs and do a compression / leak down test etc to check in more detail :(

Anyway just going to open a can of Arthur Guinness’s finest :)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blink: Gutted for ya mate.

Is it really that easy? or would it have to be run for a short period after it poped off. Ill be tie wrapping all the fuel presure lines tomorrow!

Its never happend before matey :( in all 4/5 years of ownership :(

Gutted for you buddy!!. Hope its not as bad as that. Could it not just be fuelling gone to pot? Maybe need mapping again? Im clutching at straws here arn,t i :(

May be a lift to Mondays meet ;) I phone you buddy :)

It's not neccessarily dead :)

Reset the ECU first.

Take the plugs out before trying it again....just to check them over/clean them up.

Get a compression tester too...

Fingers crossed for you.

Cheers Alex i will try everything before i start buying pistons :)

If the worst does come to the worst, then this thread highlights that plumbing your boost gauge hose into the fpr hose isnt a good idea :( Plus its also a good idea to check that your fpr hose is on nice and tight...

The plumbing on that side of the car is Stock i.e. tps to fpr. The Boost gauge is plumbed into a distribution block I've got which plugs into the feed off the back of the inlet manifold.

Fooking gutted for you rob, sounds like really bad luck. Ive got stock piping on my tps to fpr but ive added a few circlips just to make really sure. Its like an achilles heel from toyota!

Total agree! When i put the single on i renewed a lot of that pipe work and secured it like yourself matey, its also one of the regular checks i make as part of the hours of TLC the bloody car gets! :(

Thanks for all the kind comments guys i just needed to get it off my chest TBH :) I've clammed down a bit now if you'd spoke to me early i was already for scraping it and just going buying a 911 :innocent: :D I suppose its only going to cost the same as when the twin's blew and i ended up single :)

If it's spluttering and overfuelling there is a chance it's the MAP sensor hose leaking air, so it's fuelling for atmospheric. The biggest problem with the hose coming off the FPR is that it also feeds the MAP sensor and suddenly the ECU thinks it's at atmospheric and off boost so cuts the fuel dramatically :(

Does the engine rev up OK or does it "thrum" due to missing the same cylinder every time?

-Ian

If it's spluttering and overfuelling there is a chance it's the MAP sensor hose leaking air, so it's fuelling for atmospheric. The biggest problem with the hose coming off the FPR is that it also feeds the MAP sensor and suddenly the ECU thinks it's at atmospheric and off boost so cuts the fuel dramatically :(

Does the engine rev up OK or does it "thrum" due to missing the same cylinder every time?

-Ian

I sounds sitting on idle that its missing and is spluttering on when rev'd up. I would be over the moon if its just a plug or a ecu fault :) Going to do more digging tomorrow and will report back :)

I know that feeling/sound, the car would drive just fine under light throttle but, as soon as you put some slight load on the engine, it would "thrum" and vibrate before you even got to 3k rpm. (mine was not pipe related)

Hope it turns out OK Rob :thumbs: