The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone fancy giving me a test drive?

danhicks22

Afternoon all,

Afraid I'm another newbie after some welcoming attention.

I'm desperate to get myself a Supra. I'm looking to buy one in the next couple of months (depending how long my resolve to save the money rather than just get a loan lasts) but I'm not sure whether to get an NA or TT. I think I want a TT and have been told the NA's a bit heavy and boring to drive (albeit by a guy who drives a 450bhp Skyline) but I've never been in either version so don't really know myself. I currently drive a 1.6 Astra (oh, she's a beast!) so I'm sure either one will be a bit of a step up, but I want as much speed as possible. Although, as long as I can blitz the 350Z and 2.7TT Audi S4 that 2 of my friends have just bought, I'll be happy. And if I can get the guy at work with an M3, that'd be nice too.

My quandaries are as follows:

- I'm 23 and been driving for less than 2 years so insurance is gunna kill my finances and I pretty much need a completely standard car

- I'd rather not spend too much money but would like a TT (I can stretch to 6k reasonably comfortably but I'm reluctant to go much higher)

- I'd prefer a UK car because insurance on a body-kitted and slightly modded car won't be much more than a standard J-Spec (and most J-Specs seem to have had something done to them, which I can't realistically insure), but can't really afford the UK purchase costs

Imported SZs seem to be far more common than TTs from what I've seen, and cheaper for a standard car, but I'd quite like the top spec of a GZ - they just seem to be hard to find unmolested and pushing my price limit.

Any advice would be gratefully received and any chance to go out in a Supra would be even more appreciated.

The question is, will I be happy without those two beautiful turbos?

I hate questions, they make doing things so much more complicated.

Cheers for reading anyway and I look forward to properly joining the Supra community as an owner soon... hopefully very soon!

My name's Dan and I currently live in Cheltenham by the way.

Bye bye now!

Guest Chumpalot

After reading your post and taking your budget into consideration, I'd get myself a nice N/A for the money and keep insurance/running costs/etc down while I'm at it. They're certainly not boring to drive either.

Not sure if you'll beat your colleagues at work though :(

Jody T, that would be splendid, thanks for the offer.

What sort of times/days would be good for you? It's quite a trek for me from work during the day but I could probably get away with it if I make up the hours. Alternatively, it'd have to be weekend/evening - Google Maps reckons 37 minutes from my office (about 45 from home) but that doesn't take traffic and my lack of a sense of direction into account.

A bit of info I forgot to mention in my original post - one of the reasons I'm pushed more toward a TT is that the insurance is the same on an imported SZ as it is for a TT (slightly weird if you ask me).

After reading your post and taking your budget into consideration, I'd get myself a nice N/A for the money and keep insurance/running costs/etc down while I'm at it. They're certainly not boring to drive either.

Not sure if you'll beat your colleagues at work though :(

I agree with Chumpalot. Save some money for the insurence. The N/A is far from slow, And faster than most road going cars, But the TT is alot quicker. But with two more turbos what do you expect:blink: The N/A is cheeper to run. Think the insurence is pretty similar which is annoying.

I've just turned 24 and pay £750 fully comp. 6 years no claims With Excess protection.

Guest Chumpalot

As has been said so many times before, there are a lot more things that could go wrong with a TT. If you were to get one and something major like a turbo fail then you're looking at mega bucks.

Get yourself a nice, stock and unmolested N/A. It's what I'll be doing when I eventually get round to getting another Supra.

"If you fancy a trip down to weston i can take you out in mine, 6 speed TT." - I'm assuming you mean the Super-Mare, although there are many Weston's around (according to Google Maps - ah, Google Maps, how I rely on thee). If I get a free weekend, that could be doable.

"If you fancy buying mine I'm in Essex" - If I could insure it for a lot less than 4k, I'd probably consider it... it's perdy.

There are some nice examples of standard SZs on Autotrader, just gotta get out in one to confirm the decision I've almost made.

The 'quote' and 'multi-quote' buttons in the bottom left of the posts are your friends :thumbs:

Thanks for the comments.

I don't like those buttons... the ones in the bottom right are ok though :p

Yes weston siper mare. Free most evenings and weekends. Try to make it a dry day to get a propper feel for how she pulls and pulls and pulls :lol:

Sounds good. Evenings I can definitely do, should be just over an hour down the road. I'm free tomorrow and Thursday if that's not too short notice?

Oh and if its wet we will be having many a race with the rear end!

Oo-er! I hope you're talking about the car :blink:

Sounds good. Evenings I can definitely do, should be just over an hour down the road. I'm free tomorrow and Thursday if that's not too short notice?

Oo-er! I hope you're talking about the car :blink:

Tomorrow will be best as i need to take all my dash panels out to let my bodyshop guy have. Also might get another friend round to take you out in an auto as the auto's are still good. :)

And yes if its wet you will see how we fight to keep things straight as they are a bit of a handful when things are moist lol

Awesome, a few hours into my membership and I've started an argument - I'd say that's good work!

Tomorrow sounds good. Off out now but we can sort out details later or during the day tomorrow.

Cheers guys - mucho appreciated. Ooh, I'm getting all of-a-fluster with excitement.

The n/a is far from slow and i reckon very affordable to run i get about 280 - 300 miles a tank and the insurance is £590 fully comp protected no claims (im 27), its far from slow and defo gives most cars a real challenge, the drive is awesome and a great stepping stone to a tt.

The n/a is far from slow and i reckon very affordable to run i get about 280 - 300 miles a tank and the insurance is £590 fully comp protected no claims (im 27), its far from slow and defo gives most cars a real challenge, the drive is awesome and a great stepping stone to a tt.

I have seen plenty of stats re the TT but does anyone have any stats (speed 0-60 etc) on the NA? would be nice to compare. :)