The mkiv Supra Owners Club

baby seats for the supra

hogmaw

I know this has been covered before, but a quick search tells me that some seats recommended in the past have been discontinued, and there are bound to be some new ones.

So... does anyone know of any FORWARD FACING baby seats for the REAR seats of the supra? I hope such things exist.... :)

you can't put a sub 9 month baby in a forward facing seat anyway.

Correct!

We have a "Britax First Class Si Pro" 0+ group which is Birth to 4 years, which will fit forward facing in the front & rear but will only fit rearward facing in the front, as the little 'un is only 4 mths we currently have it fitted in the front, facing rear, it fits really tight but has 3 draw backs...

1. It makes the car look stupid! :p , but beggars can't be choosers.

2. Because of the seat belt routing (virtually horizontal from the upper seatbelt mount on the B pillar, across to the back of the seat), getting him in and out is a bit of a struggle from the passenger door.

3. The backrest of the Baby seat then blocks the use of the passenger side door mirror, which is not really a problem exept for when you're used to using that mirror for lane changing on the motorway (you just learn to look over your left shoulder instead).

On the plus side, because the belt recepticle on the righthand side of the seat is so short you don't get any "buckle crunch" and also as it's in the front it only takes 2 seconds to fit or remove it and it will only be another 5 or so months before it can go forward facing in the rear which isn't that long to live with the drawbacks really. :)

HTH

P.S. I literally just threw it in there for the photo to illustrate it fitted, the belt routing can be made a lot more tidy than shown.

DSCF0167.1.jpg

you can't put a sub 9 month baby in a forward facing seat anyway.

Oh never knew that?! There are so many rules and regulations with baby seats now, all sizes and rules for different age kids etc, and all legally binding.

Gone are the days when I used to roll around on the parcel shelf of my dad's Rover, with him driving around without a seatbelt.

Oh never knew that?! There are so many rules and regulations with baby seats now, all sizes and rules for different age kids etc, and all legally binding.

Gone are the days when I used to roll around on the parcel shelf of my dad's Rover, with him driving around without a seatbelt.

I don't know if it's actually law or not, more like best practice and the theory that goes with that is to do with the strength of the babies neck, i.e. its around 9 mths that the baby has enough strength to hold it's own head up properly, at 4 mths my son is holding his head up but not with any significant strength, if he was involved in an accident, front end impact, which they recon is statistically the higher risk, whilst seated forward facing below 9 mths there is a significantly higher risk of serious neck injury and possibly death even at sub 20 mph speeds.

Of course, you could argue about what happens if someone rear ends you whilst the baby is rearward facing. :search:

OK there are plenty going cheap on ebay. But my missus says it's not 'safe' to get a second hand one in case it's faulty. BUT by my reckoning the chance of an accident is 1/10,000, and the chance of a faulty baby seat is 1/10,000. Put the two together and you have a 1/100,000,000 chance of a crash where the baby gets hurt cos of a faulty seat.

By that logic, it's a chance worth taking to save 100 odd quid, but try telling the missus that.

No but there are plenty of new or nearly new on ebay that were bought and not used ie didn't fit the car or unwanted gift etc. Besides, I still think the chances of being in a crash (not had one in 20 years) AND while having a dodgy baby seat (I am sure 99% are ok) are very, very remote.

i bought a "almost new" older kiddies seat from ebay that had been used in a nans car and was virtually new - but this is literally just a booster seat so not too much to worry about anyway - HOWEVER..... with the baby seats of 0-9months, and 9months-2years, i would always buy new to be honest.......

.......babies are regularly sick in their seats, and sh!t all the time, not to mention endless food and crap they mess about with..... i would buy a new seat if its a baby one fella...but up to you ;)