The mkiv Supra Owners Club

changing suspension

jazz1

is it hard my brother knows his stuff and has changed several suspensions before and i have a mechanic who said he can help if u we get stuck, but is it straight forward is just a matter of swapping them around for the new ones? i dont want to pay someone else as they charge alot of labour and id rather give my brother 50 pounds and he would be happy to do it

Think it depends what you are changing it with! I put tein coilovers on my NA with my dad and it only took a few hours. Would also advide to swap out the rear bushes on the lower arm, its made such a difference on my car.

Most useful tool ever though would have been a spring comressor!

You can do it without a spring compressor if doing it at home, with a lot of suspension you need it to stop the spring releasing all the tention. But on a supra the thread on the strut are long and so by the time you take the nut off the spring has hardly any tention left... refitting simply by pressing down on the top mount.. Done it loads of times on my drive...

But looking at Jazz post above, he wont need to take the struts apart anyway.... Tip though Jazz when doing the rears, remove the caliper! (spoke to many people who struggle by not removing it) by undoing the 2 bolts that hold it onto the carrier.. Then using a long bar lever the hub down and remove the bottom of the strut.. remove the bolts at the top and itll just drop out... WHen you fit the HKS one you will probably have to jack UP the hub as they are usually much shorter...

yep 100% need the geo doing afterwards even more so if planning on lowering the car. ive just changed the lower rear arm bushes and its impossible to get the arm back in exactly the same place. Perhaps the TT is different to the NA but from my experience a spring compressor would have made the job easier (not that its too difficult to start with).

Agree with the caliper though, makes it much easier.

yep 100% need the geo doing afterwards even more so if planning on lowering the car. ive just changed the lower rear arm bushes and its impossible to get the arm back in exactly the same place. Perhaps the TT is different to the NA but from my experience a spring compressor would have made the job easier (not that its too difficult to start with).

Agree with the caliper though, makes it much easier.

So when did you use the compressor? to remove the struts from the car or to dismantle the strut? Just curious :D