The mkiv Supra Owners Club

BPU Supra vs new M5

Chiefgroover

Had a run in my mates white M5 tonight, about 1500 miles on it.

Active seats - awesome, they really add the the experience :)

7 speed box, no clutch, excellent

Roadholding/Handling - reference stuff, cant fault in any way.

engine sound - sweet oh so sweet.

Fast? cant see a BPU supra beating it.

modern? Holographic display - I want one for my Supra lol

OK I hate BMW too, doesnt change that fact is a fab drivers car!.

Chalk and cheese these cars though. Comparing an aristo and an M5 is a fairer comparison than a 5 door luxo rocket barge to A GT sports car. Have to say though I believe a BPU supe would indeed struggle at alot of speed ranges. The extra weight and gearing for a higher top speed may just pinch the win in some places. Here's the but though how many supra's can squeeze 5 people in and still go comfortably at warp factor? Thats what an M5 does. Handling is probably very good but if its anything like mine it comes at a huge expense of heavy service item wear like tyres for starters.

How did it feel compared to your Sup in terms of handling, response, low down, mid and high end power ?

Handling - mine is pretty well sorted but doesnt feel as confident as the M5

Response - it beats me below 4000 rpm only

Low down - eats me

Mid and high end (5K and 7 K rpm) I can leave it for dead.

There 500 horse aren't they, single turbo territory only i would say.

Thats if they can find the menu options fast enough... :p

Low down - eats me

Must admit though, have always liked the M5s... so sad :(

Low down - eats me

Thanks for that... VERY interesting. I wonder how a 61mm/GT35R Supra would do against one...

I think so. A brand new car with a warranty, 500bhp, all the modern toys, 200mph capability when delimited and luxury for 5 adults? I know it's a BMW, but if I had the money I'd buy one. :)

Thats one of the problems, there isn't enough room in the back for three kids let alone adults:(

Thats one of the problems, there isn't enough room in the back for three kids let alone adults:(

What in the back of the M5?? Weird I always assumed it was internally a large car. Must admit when I drove past an older on with mine loaded up (4 adults as there is only 4 seatbelts in the aristo) my rear passengers had plenty of legroom whereas the peeps in the M5 rear seemed to wearing their knees as earings.

Guest chris@milllane

me and milllane was gonna get an e39 shape 1 but there very hard to tune up ie no turbo to turn the boost up very complicated ecu system, and you will be paying 10 k for what 400 horses and if you want to properly tune it up ie supercharger then its an extra 10k on top and you run the risk of blowing the stock motor up. with buying a supra 600-700 notes will get a good reliable 600bhp blowing the new m5 right off the road :D

Yeh but you look at the price difference to! For what we pay we get a hell of alot of car! Hes paying like tripple, does he get tripple the car... I dont think so

Supra all the way! lol

his is a BRAND NEW car............:rolleyes:

yours is an early 90s design.......when it was new it was certainly a lot more than the pittance that they fetch now..