The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Trackdays/Single's - Noise???

Pig

Am trying to book another trackday but am wondering if i will manage to get in under the 105db limit. I am under the impression they are measured @ standstill only on the tackday i am thinking of. (e.g no screamer pipe :eyebrows:)

BTW im single with an HKS carbon TI - How much is a tanable? and would it be likely to pass?

Am trying to book another trackday but am wondering if i will manage to get in under the 105db limit. I am under the impression they are measured @ standstill only on the tackday i am thinking of. (e.g no screamer pipe :eyebrows:)

BTW im single with an HKS carbon TI - How much is a tanable? and would it be likely to pass?

Most of the days I've looked at have two tests:

- Static measurement taken at 2/3 of max RPM, 0.5m form the exhaust (usually below 100db is required)

- Drive by at 40 foot (usually below 90 db is required)

I very much doubt you would pass either test with the Ti, and would be pulled off track as soon as they hear the screamer pipe anyway!

You either need to get to a track to get it tested, or buy a sound meter... I got one from Radio Shack for about £40. It was cheaper than a round trip to the nearest track that would do a static test.

Most tracks are static tests at 3/4 revs - or about 4000rpm.

Depends if they let you do the rev's :)

But some have drive by sensors on the track as well, and screamer pipes can set them off.

Which track are you going to ?

Most of the days I've looked at have two tests:

- Static measurement taken at 2/3 of max RPM, 0.5m form the exhaust (usually below 100db is required)

- Drive by at 40 foot (usually below 90 db is required)

I very much doubt you would pass either test with the Ti, and would be pulled off track as soon as they hear the screamer pipe anyway!

Bahh - beaten by the Homer ;)

Ordered a tester today. Have a feeling i have no hope which is why im wondering about the tanable and the screamer pipe put back in.

Are there any track fans out there that have a list handy of all the no noise limit weekend track days???

If you insist on a screamer pipe you will ONLY be able to do days where there is no noise limit. Donington have a few, so do Silverstone. I don't know about Brands, i don't like it, and it's a LONG way for me up here :) To be honest, if you want to do track days with a single you need to plumb the wastegate back into the main system, and run *AT THE VERY LEAST* a Tanabe Medallion Touring, and maybe a custom multi box baffled system. Induction noise makes a difference to the overall, maybe not quite as much as it does on an N/A, but a modded stock airbox will certainly help the general noise issues.

The more cam duration and lift you have makes a difference, too, so a highly modded engine will need a highly modded silencing system to be quiet with minimal back pressure.

If you insist on a screamer pipe you will ONLY be able to do days where there is no noise limit.

*AT THE VERY LEAST* a Tanabe Medallion Touring, and maybe a custom multi box baffled system.

Sorry, meant put back in meant plummed into the exhaust. (a couple to many beers tonight)

What sort of db would you expect from no screamer pipe and a tanabe medallion touring?

Thanks

It's the drive by measurements that are the killer, any plonker can attempt to fool the static noise test gentlemen, who test at 2/3 your red line RPM limit, near to the exhaust outlet, with the car static. I have seen it all, from "it's a long stroker, I only rev it to 4200 RPM", digitally "enhanced" rev counters that read about half of actual engine RPM, with diverter valves in the exhaust and testing done with half a dozen panscrubs in the exhaust that then blow out under load, tried for a bit of variety. They too are now pretty savvy to the entrants ruses and trickery.

Fooling a drive by, often 2 over circuit microphones per lap, is a LOT harder. People who spend 280 quid plus on a track day entry fee, then say they "slow down" past the microphones are just plain sad. You might as well face it, whatever your feelings for these NIMBY *ankers that make it hell for motorsport, noise limits are here to stay, and passing a drive by limit will take some ingenuity and expense. A bung up the tailpipe will quieten things, but also send EGT's skywards, kill performance and you'll probably end up with a dead engine that's detted to destruction. You need exhaust pipe length, as little diameter as you can get away with without killing power, and proper silencers (which probably won't look shiny, be made of anything exotic, or come in a Japanese logoed box).

The best off the shelf MKIV system for noise abatement V back pressure I have found is the Tanabe Medallion Touring, but it's advertised 95 Db figure is on a *stock* engine. Remove the suffocation that stock cams and stock turbine housings give and that figure will jump up, maybe a lot. In that case you are into 3 or even 4 silencer boxes, maybe copying the stock system with a Y pipe coming back into one BIG back box, the Y part having 2 small boxes, one in each leg.

I am in the same boat, I need a system for my Skyline, and I doubt I'll find anything off the shelf. I am resigned to use the Toyota engined Zeus only at noisy events next year, silencing that, without it looking like a Quik Fit fitters' nightmare, is just too much to contemplate. At least the Supra is front engined, packaging a decently quiet system for mid or rear engined cars is a LOT worse a headache!

!

I might be reading this wrong chris. But im under the impression that i need to accept that the car isnt accpetable for track days with noise limits? But it could be made acceptable with alot of heart ache and money.

I might be reading this wrong chris. But im under the impression that i need to accept that the car isnt accpetable for track days with noise limits? But it could be made acceptable with alot of heart ache and money.

You need to get a static test done, using a proper noise meter, if you go to a Bookatrack (or possibly most track day organisers?) day they will noise test it statically FOC, without you paying an entry fee. If it passes that you then need to bite the bullet and get it on track (no screamer pipe, that'll never pass a drive by), and see what readings you get dymanically. If it's over you should then know how much over, and can get advice as to what should sort it. Singles will be a lot noisier than the twin sequentials, especially if they have fairly big turbine housings and cams. Has it been noise tested statically anywhere, yet?

How's it going with the cams in Wes? It wouldn't pass a drive by in a month of Sundays as it is ;)

I got it idling nice now and stopped it stalling, I am mapping it properly on Weds, I will let you know how it goes but so far all good :thumbs:

Havent got it on boost yet as the drive home was interesting enough with R888s and rain.

This is on the Donnington web site if it helps.

I've also been looking for a track day with my Single and screamer.

Ride around Donington Park on your own bike at high speeds without the worry of speed cameras or road traffic!

Track Attack days are run in four groups, with 15 minutes of circuit time each hour per group. Signing-on is from 0745, on track from 0900 until 1700 (typically 0900-1300 and 1400-1700 with a one-hour lunch break). Evening signing-on is from 1630, on track from 1730 until 2030. For answers to frequently asked questions please click here.

Fancy experiencing the thrill of driving a Ferrari, Porsche or Single Seater racing car at speed around one of the worlds greatest racing circuits?

Donington Park Driving Experiences and Driving Day Gift Vouchers available now...

More details...

By popular demand we have expanded the Track Attack format with Noise Attack days. These are run with 20 minutes of circuit time each hour per group, and without the 98dba (drive-by) noise limit of Track Attack days. The circuit cooperates with local council in respect to noise control; hence these days are limited and cost a premium over the standard Track Attack events.

Your safety is paramount - we provide experienced instructors, travelling marshals, a full medical service, closed circuit television monitoring the track and an informative safety briefing.

A strict 98 dba (drive-by) noise limit applies to Track Attack days (but not to Noise Attack days) for more information click here.

On all days participants need to hold a full Road Traffic Acts Licence or ACU Road Race licence and attend a briefing prior to going out on track.

2007 Advanced Booking Prices:

Track Attack Day £139 (April-September)

Track Attack Day £105 (October-March)

Track Attack Evening £69

Noise Attack Day £159 (April-September)

Are there any track fans out there that have a list handy of all the no noise limit weekend track days???

Cor you don't want much! Can't see anything for 2008, but Silverstone has a noisy day on Saturday 24th November & Saturday December 15th, £199 through Goldtrack, two session doing half hour about all day.

I had the 4" straight through and screamer pipe 6 months ago.. with a backbox like a bean can; people said it was a close second to chris' zeus when it came past the wall at donnington.

Since then I had backbox made, as big as would fit behind the rear subframe and it made a huge difference, then they plummed the external wastegate back into the main exhaust and it's much better. A bit of drone here and there but must be 1/3 of previous.

I was stunned at the workmanship of the backbox, made from scratch the work is fantastic.