The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Snapped rear wheel stud

hadyn

It depends hugely on how it snapped as well. If it snapped whilst applying a normal torque then you'd have to assume that it had been previously over torqued and would in fact have to suspect all the other studs were similarly overtorqued and are in fact damaged and all need replacing. If its snapped because you have gorrilared it and have done the same to the other studs then you will have to replace those other studs as well. I wouldn't then advocate using the car in either of these circumstances until all studs are replaced. Mine is buggered due to being cross threaded by a set of sh*t nuts sent out by my old mate Lucifer back in the day so not stressed studs at all.

I would have to disagree with my learned colleague (with the stripey shirt)

Just because you have not crashed doesnt mean its safe.

True, but I still dont believe it to not be dangerous, if it was it would be a fail on an MOT and a snapped stud is only an Advisory.

And me not crashing is fact I dont drive it at moment :D

It depends hugely on how it snapped as well. If it snapped whilst applying a normal torque then you'd have to assume that it had been previously over torqued and would in fact have to suspect all the other studs were similarly overtorqued and are in fact damaged and all need replacing. If its snapped because you have gorrilared it and have done the same to the other studs then you will have to replace those other studs as well. I wouldn't then advocate using the car in either of these circumstances until all studs are replaced. Mine is buggered due to being cross threaded by a set of sh*t nuts sent out by my old mate Lucifer back in the day so not stressed studs at all.

I agree 100%. :)

"After a funny creaking noise turned into a cracked stud that I was lucky to find early, I thought (what with 600bhp being on tap these days) I would swap all my rear wheel studs. No sense messing about especially as the studs are under £2 each."

Sounds a lot more sensible than "Yeah carry on driving it's safe" :tongue:

-Ian

OK, a little bit of the Techy stuff to explain what is happening to wheel studs & wheel rims as the wheel rotates........if you "stand back a bit" and just look at the car as it corners, the inner wheels are actually being pushed onto the disc carriers, so in purely theoretical terms, the studs are not doing anything...but read on!

Outer wheels are trying to pull off the disc carriers so the studs are in tension but not a high value, really only the scrub value from the tyres(in theoretical terms).

OK, now look closely at the inside wheel as it corners.

The bottom of the wheel is pushing against the disc carrier but the top of the wheel is actually trying to pull outwards, ie the side force at the bottom of the wheel is "pivoting" at the wheel centre line, resulting in an outward force at the top.

Now consider that the wheel is turning at quite high revolutions, so there is a different part of the wheel at the "bottom" at any instant.

So what is really happening is that the wheel rim is constantly being "flexed" first in one direction, then in the other, and the only thing keeping the wheel attached to the disc carrier is the wheel nut.

So each wheel nut is being constantly "pulled"/loaded and therefore stressed, before returning to a "no-stress" position at each rev.

So leave out one wheel nut/stud and the others have to carry a greater loading.

Also, and perhaps more importantly, the wheel rim is constantly being similarly stressed, so miss out a wheel nut, and the nett result over time, will be a buckled wheel rim.

Hope this makes things a little clearer.

Rgds

George