The mkiv Supra Owners Club

removing heat

grahamc

Ok, after an interesting mapping session with RyanG, we saw that my temps where getting a little high. So now what are the options to bring them down?

I am running hybrids with an Apexi induction kit.

Options:

1. water/methanol injection

2. cold air box

3. carbon bonnet

4. heat wrap

1 and 2 are a definite...

Is the carbon bonnet a worthwhile option? If so which one?

Is the heat wrapping worthwhile? What should be heat wrapped? What heating wrapping should I buy?

1. Definitely worth it, but get a warning system so that you know if the pump isn't running or you've run out of water.

2. Keeps heat out of the intake charge so worth while to an extent, but AIT correction needs to be setup in your Link because in hot days, the intake will still be hot.

3. Carbon bonnet isn't necessary, and I'm not a fan tbh but a vented bonnet definitely worth while

4. I've had this done to my exhaust manifold and downpipe, worth having for keeping heat out of the engine bay.

I have all four :) although my filter intake is completely external (below the headlight. Ducting is also important.

This was recommended as well... will go onto the list of possibles

1. Definitely worth it, but get a warning system so that you know if the pump isn't running or you've run out of water.

2. Keeps heat out of the intake charge so worth while to an extent, but AIT correction needs to be setup in your Link because in hot days, the intake will still be hot.

3. Carbon bonnet isn't necessary, and I'm not a fan tbh but a vented bonnet definitely worth while

4. I've had this done to my exhaust manifold and downpipe, worth having for keeping heat out of the engine bay.

thanks for that! The correction, I believe is setup on the link, this was just something that was pointed out by Ryan.

Keeps heat out of the intake charge so worth while to an extent, but AIT correction needs to be setup in your Link because in hot days, the intake will still be hot.

Yup setup :) but was somehow missed on previous map :rolleyes: I even showed graham as i was shocked. A very important feature

Ryan

Air temps were around 46c - 48c on datalogs which seemed pretty hot for the ambient temperature.

Just as update on my car i fitted a TRD bonnet last week to mine and although im not a fan of the carbon look (being sprayed soon ;) is works very well. My air temps dropped around 10c :). I also been speaking to charlie a fair bit about this heat issue and moving my air filter to under the headlight helped alot also. My air temps now are around 35c on the road.

The best car i have seen for air temps has to be B'have. On a hot dyno i was only seeing 32c with his car after about 12 runs.

I have all four :) although my filter intake is completely external (below the headlight. Ducting is also important.

You got some pictures?

Air temps were around 46c - 48c on datalogs which seemed pretty hot for the ambient temperature.

Just as update on my car i fitted a TRD bonnet last week to mine and although im not a fan of the carbon look (being sprayed soon ;) is works very well. My air temps dropped around 10c :). I also been speaking to charlie a fair bit about this heat issue and moving my air filter to under the headlight helped alot also. My air temps now are around 35c on the road.

The best car i have seen for air temps has to be B'have. On a hot dyno i was only seeing 32c with his car after about 12 runs.

I will have to look into that carbon bonnet then... :D I like them, but I think they look good on a silver car!

I don't think it's necessarily a carbon bonnet that improves cooling, it's the ducts/vents built into them.

Mind you they usually have massive panel gaps between the bonnet edge and wings so that'll help ;)

-Ian

:rlol: panel gaps, nice!

I realise that its the big holes in the bonnet that aid cooling ;)

Just easier to buy a carbon one...

Aye, just clarifying it for the future searches :) Don't want impressionable youngsters in tech saying floppy fibreglass bonnets with a carbon effect weave on top automatically takes 10deg off your intake temps ;)

-Ian

Been official told off :D will make sure i explain more in future but yes i hate aftermarket bonnets too but the venting really does work wonders for getting all the radiant heat out from under the bonnet. I imagine your air temps are pretty good ian with your B&Q bonnet :D

Aye, just clarifying it for the future searches :) Don't want impressionable youngsters in tech saying floppy fibreglass bonnets with a carbon effect weave on top automatically takes 10deg off your intake temps ;)

-Ian

Ok, ;) I got you

Been official told off :D will make sure i explain more in future but yes i hate aftermarket bonnets too but the venting really does work wonders for getting all the radiant heat out from under the bonnet. I imagine your air temps are pretty good ian with your B&Q bonnet :D

:no: