The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Brake preferences?

Cerikbok

It is looking like I may need new pads and rotors. PLus just buying the car I would like to start fresh with components I know when I put them on. Anyone have any recommendations? Lots of F&R cross drilled on Ebay and what not, so many choices and I dont want to make the wrong ones when it comes to brakes. Also, what is a good shop to have things like a body kit attached/respray things like that done that is reasonably priced

When I do my brakes (j-spec) I will be getting :-

Goodridge Braided lines

DOT 5.1 Fluid

CW Fast Road Pads

3G Drilled and Grooved disk's

All that should cost under £500 and hopefully completely change my brakes as they are not too good at the moment. I dont even know what fluid, pads or disks are on there :(

Those disks and Pads are good, I noticed a difference when i first used them and im not the hardest driver on the board

When I do my brakes (j-spec) I will be getting :-

Goodridge Braided lines

DOT 5.1 Fluid

CW Fast Road Pads

3G Drilled and Grooved disk's

All that should cost under £500 and hopefully completely change my brakes as they are not too good at the moment. I dont even know what fluid, pads or disks are on there :(

My pads deserve proper discs, not those things :)

It is looking like I may need new pads and rotors. PLus just buying the car I would like to start fresh with components I know when I put them on. Anyone have any recommendations? Lots of F&R cross drilled on Ebay and what not, so many choices and I dont want to make the wrong ones when it comes to brakes. Also, what is a good shop to have things like a body kit attached/respray things like that done that is reasonably priced

Which brakes do you have fitted?

The Supra came with 2 options; either the larger 4 pot front/ 2 pot rear, or the smaller 2 pot front/ 1 pot rear. If you're not sure post some pic so we can identify for you.

Forget ebay driller/grooved discs, OEM discs (from your local dealer) all the way unless you want to spend big money on 2 piece discs.

What’s so bad about grooved disk's :search: I know the cheap fully drilled jobbies are prone to cracking under stress and that an OEM disk will have more surface area etc but the likes of 3G have good feedback off many members on here. They also use brembo blanks (so not a nasty material) and the drills in the D/Gr disks are just dimples (visual only thing I would presume) and are not supposed to cause stress cracks. The reason I would like them is because I don’t do any track day's or drive like a psychopath on public roads so if they are just a smidgen less efficient then OEM I can live with that but I would just have liked to see something different for £500 as well as have better brakes :)

I replaced all my brakes with 3G (BREMBO) discs a few months ago without any concerns and very reasonalble costs under £500. Apart from the porterfield pads which are noisey and take a while to get good heat into them I am pleased with them. As stated above fit braided hoses and flush with good quality brake fluid and you will be sorted.

Oh and by the way 3G are in Harwich which is round the corner for you in Suffolk !

3Gbrakes - ULTIMATE BRAKING.

http://www.3gbrakes.co.uk

[email protected]

Tel:+44 (0) 1255 88 00 31

Fax:+44 (0) 1255 88 00 31

I installed new discs and pads all round recently and went with the 3G Grooved Discs (not drilled as they could be prone to cracking) and also EBC Greenstuff Pads, got the lot for £363 Delivered.

Though I must agree with Thorin that these pads are slighlty harder, and at top/high speeds when breaking hard, they grind a little due to their hardness. However I do get a very strong bite and stops great when applying the brake hard in normal conditions. The discs are good although I would recommend either OEM pads or TRD pads. Overall I am very pleased with the outcome so far, even whenI have not yet changed the brake lines and fluid yet. Redstuff Pads have a medium initial bite and can take higher temperatures oppsed to the Greenstuff pads which have a stronger initial bite and do not need warmining up but can handle slightly less temperatures, though I would say both are still 'hard' pads.

The man with the Red Stuff pads will respond once he finishes helping the police with their enquiries.

:D

You may find this thread of interest regarding pads http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=123584

Although I have not used them yet but Chris Wilson's pads are very highly recommended by many members on here and are also a pretty good price. I will be using them when I do my upgrade :)

:sorry::hijack:

If you see this again Chris. . . Do you sell your own braided lines? If so could you give me a price please? Also if you dont mind me asking, are the 3G brakes really that bad and if so why:search:?

Thanks

DBA 5000 discs and Carbotech Pads.

Or just stick with stock discs and CW road pads :)

If you're in Suffolk (at Mildenhall or Lakenheath?) there's a Toyota dealership in Norwich up the A11...otherwise you'll need to go to Cambridge.

FWIW, Partco in Norwich can get OEM quality discs, give them a bell and say it's in the Blueprint catalogue....in the catalogue it has 2 different sizes, 16" and 17". If you've got a j-spec or NA with 2pot brakes you need 16" discs and if you have a US/UK TT or upgraded J-spec with 4pot brakes then you'll need to specify 17" discs.

HTH

I went with Rotora front discs, oem rear, goodrich braided lines and Brembo hawk pads when I upgraded to UK spec brakes. Im not a lunatic driver and haven't done any track days but I do find them to be very good now. If you are not driving too hard and want good value for money I would get OEM discs from Steve Manley (he does a very good price on these), some braided Goodrich lines and then some decent pads (CW or Brembo IMO).

Mark

Very good Chris :D

I think we need to pit our Endless pads against your CW pads for a challenge ;)

Regards,

Gaz.

I believe its the Endless sss pads i would need Gaz. I cant find them on the Envy site. How much mate for the fronts and rears (2 poy and 1 pot). Thanks matey:)

i still need new pads i am just going to get oem one's as i dont need amazing stopping power, i have bought goodbridge lines and 5.1 fluid which im yet to fit,

will this set up be ok,

braided lines

oem disks

oem pads

like i said dont need amazing stopping power but any thing better then standard j spec.

My J-Spec fast road pads are 130 a full car set, plus 6.80 insured P&P. I do a race compound for these calipers at 380 a full car set.

I think any meaningful back to back testing of pad compounds is well outside my budget, I'd have to sell millions of them to cover the dyno time :) AP will do compound testing on their brake dyno, for others pads, but the cost is eye watering.