The mkiv Supra Owners Club

TEIN Superstreets and EDFC, do i need both for road use?

KaoriFan

Hi everyone,

as my Supra goes for two weeks today to sort the broken suspension, just wondering if i get a set of TEIN Superstreets do i need to get the EDFC as well.

I cannot foresee any track days, so they will be for road use 99% of the time.

if i have to get the TEIN SS i will not have them with top mounts.

down in Sussex most of the roads are useless to drive on, so bumpy and many potholes or recessed drain covers.

until you get out of the bexhill-hastings area onto better 'A' roads they are bad.

cheers

Ian

I have superstreets using stock top mounts. think the edfc is a waste of time as its like a 2 second job to adjust the dampening force anyway - obviously you cant do it while sat in the car but dont see it being much useful unless you do trackdays etc

As Maz says it a quick job to adjust it, but if for someone like me you dont ALWAYS want race hardened suspension, then the EDFC is a good idea as you can alter it by the press of a button... its also very hard to do back to back tests when you have to get out of the car each and every time.

You could have it set soft for your bumpy roads, and at a click of a button when on 'nice' roads you have your handling.. You are hardly going to stop and manually adjust are you?

If money isnt tight get it... Its a good system..

If i was to choose though ide get the strut braces... I can supply these for £185 for the pair- Bargain! :)

I had TEIN suspension for couple of month & just put TEIN EDFC 2 weeks ago.

IMO there is no point to have ajustable suspension without EDFC. Originally when I put suspension I thought no need of EDFC. But then I found sometimes imposible to stop & change settings (for example motorway conditions often changes and it is handy to change suspension settings by pressing just one button inside the car)

I have both on my car and find them OK, bit hard on crap Hastings/Bexhill roads maybe, can't say that the std type suspension that came off was any better, my SS have the top mounts to and i doubt they will make it any harder, as they are pretty much the same design as the std ones, the EDFC is not particularly must have, i tend to leave mine alone most of the time.

whats the difference you experience from one extreme to the other when adjusting? In other words one minute is it going to be like a space hopper and the next like a 18th century horse driven cart. or are we talking slight differences

There is 16 adjustments on each strut... Believe me you can feel it.. hard is HARD, soft is Bouncy! you find a happy medium that you are happy with... its a personal thing setting the stifness..

whats the difference you experience from one extreme to the other when adjusting? In other words one minute is it going to be like a space hopper and the next like a 18th century horse driven cart. or are we talking slight differences

IMO its there is not a great deal of difference between full hard ans full soft, i would say its subtle.

I would deffo say edfc would be useful for you and I can personally vouch for it.

The last thing you want on a bumpy road surface is hard suspension - so get edfc and make it soft at the touch of a button.

The opposite is true also, when you're driving fast on smooth road you don't want soft suspension, so press the button and you have it all firmed up.

You can get all variants in between too.

There is 16 adjustments on each strut... Believe me you can feel it.. hard is HARD, soft is Bouncy! you find a happy medium that you are happy with... its a personal thing setting the stifness..

IMO its there is not a great deal of difference between full hard ans full soft, i would say its subtle.

So what is it then? Big difference or slight difference?

Well seeing as you don't want to sell me one, I'll choose to go with the more subtle difference. ;)

Lol... come drive mine! Its no lie... you CAN feel the difference... Its an easy test.. On soft you can bounce the car up and down easily by standing on the sill and get inces of travel... On the hardest setting the car wont move...

As i said this is from personal experiance from having this same kit on my car.... Nothing to do with the fact that i could supply the kit if someone wanted it...

JT

Thanks for all the replies, i know it is not just me interested in getting some TEIN SS and thought it valid to ask about the EDFC as well as the other threads about just the SS..

Well, the Supra has now gone for 2 weeks, and by thursday i will know how bad the suspension is. Not that i will be keeping it as i am now convinced of the TEIN SS route, and maybe get the EDFC as well if the price is right.

I must admit i like idea of changing settings in-car, for the ease and safety issues.

The place where all the work is being done are going to give me a price so will see how it compares to forum traders prices, and also how long it takes to deliver them and shipping costs.

cheers

Ian

For a very good price? ;)

No offence meant Jody, just that we seemed to have two opinions at differing ends of the scale, and I'm a pessimist. :)

Lol, it is hard to weed out the truth, Its an even bigger problem when opinions are put into the equation...

Best thing to do is drive one with the kit on it, and make your own mind up... :thumbs:

Oh well, have now found out the suspension is toast, so have to go with the TEIN SS without Top Mounts and also probably get the EDFC at the same time.

So now it is a case of getting the best prices to deliver this setup to me.

also looks like my Kenwood KVC-1000 screen is not working so have to get a replacement for that.