The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Buy a big single or single mine?

Mike M

Right, i'm moving to Aberdeen next spring which means I wont need to rely on having a car to get to work anymore so Woohoo two expensive toys LOL:d.

BUT i cant decide whether to single my stock TT or sell it and buy one thats had all the work done for around 15k. Thing is if I were to do mine I'd want to rebuild the motor and do a head job first by myself as a little project. It just seems much easier and cheaper to buy one all done.

Just cant make my mind up.:)

It all depends on how much you have to spend Matt.

If you have £10k (not kidding here) burning a hole in your pocket then build one to your spec. If you cannot afford to throw away a few thousand on the project then you will be much better off financially buying a well setup car that has already been built to a decent spec in the UK.

They're a money pit whatever you get.

From doing 2 of them and the hassles and let downs on the way, I'd go with what DB said. The financial expense has soured it for me hence why I'm after something else to put my heart into. I might get another supra some day but it will be a well sorted single turbo built by someone I trust.

I was too slow on the above post, but having done it must agree with DB and Kopite thats its far more cost effective and hassle-free to buy one from a known source thats been run in the UK for a while. (erm Koptie did you ever drive yours? ;) :D Not seen anything from you lately along the lines of "*** it's fast!" )

As Homer said, £10k is a minimum budget. It can be done cheaper but I wouldn't of wanted to do it that way - also factor in changing the oil and water pumps, crank pulley etc, the cost becomes astronomical which is why it's surprising that the single turbos up for sale haven't sold, especially Ben's at that insanely low price!

Koptie did you ever drive yours? ;) :D Not seen anything from you lately along the lines of "*** it's fast!" )

Haha I've driven it a bit yeah, it's getting remapped soon after it's service so it's tip top ready for sale. I've gone off driving fast, the only "race" as such is when it destroyed an Audi RS4 when we both came down a slip road. Played with a few motorbikes too but nothing I'd call a proper race :)

I was trailing through the for sale ads which started all this off.

Mean yeah a few are near the 20k mark but they are mint facelift models but earlier ones are around 13 - 15k which to me is great especially seeing as the car before the single conversion was probably around 10k for a 6sp.

Mean yeah a few are near the 20k mark but they are mint facelift models but earlier ones are around 13 - 15k which to me is great especially seeing as the car before the single conversion was probably around 10k for a 6sp.

Exactly, I think you're getting the picture now :D

Properly setup single conversions are by no means cost effective, but when you own one, they sure are fun (and scary) cars to own :D

Your video always sticks in my head Homer when it was all setup, sounded absolutely great.

Think I'd be having lots of fun scaring people with screamer pipes.:D

Thanks for the comments fella.... But actually, that was before it was fully mapped. It's significantly faster now :D

Sorry for the noob question but isn't 2 turbos better than one? Why would you want to convert to one?

It's all about mass air flow. I like this question from the US on the same subject:

If you want to blow up a house, do you use two hand guns, or a tank shell?

The same logic applies - provided the conditions are correct, the explosive mass delivered is proportional to mass of delivery.

Thanks for the comments fella.... But actually, that was before it was fully mapped. It's significantly faster now :D

He he, great:). How do you find living with it? is it a constant work in progress or pretty much settled and reliable until you fancy changing something.

He he, great:). How do you find living with it? is it a constant work in progress or pretty much settled and reliable until you fancy changing something.

You're asking the right questions, nice one :D

The urge to continue modifying will just go on and on... there is no denying or stopping that!

However I now have my car to a stable and reliable/safely mapped (at the cost of *ultimate* power), but it serves as a daily driver on 19 out of 20 drives. On the occasional 3-4 times a week it gets driven hard its no real different to BPU ownership. Just make sure you allow time for the oil and brakes to get up to temp... and to cool down ;) Regular servicing is important though, e.g max of every 3k miles for mine for plugs, oil, oil filter. Every 6k for a 'biggie'.

The problem with buying a ready built is knowing that the job has been done "right". Doing it yourself, means you can do everything possible to ensure it is.

There's just too many places for a gotcha to hide for my liking, so personally, I would buy a stock car and mod from there.

The only exception is to buy a "high profile" car, that has been put together by a known and respected trader on here. That way you'll at least know it's history, and have a trader that you can go back to should there be a problem.

The last thing anyone is ever going to want, is to buy a Turboshit conversion that hasn't been put right.

You're asking the right questions, nice one :D

The urge to continue modifying will just go on and on... there is no denying or stopping that!

However I now have my car to a stable and reliable/safely mapped (at the cost of *ultimate* power), but it serves as a daily driver on 19 out of 20 drives. On the occasional 3-4 times a week it gets driven hard its no real different to BPU ownership. Just make sure you allow time for the oil and brakes to get up to temp... and to cool down ;) Regular servicing is important though, e.g max of every 3k miles for mine for plugs, oil, oil filter. Every 6k for a 'biggie'.

Cheers Homer,

Sounds fair enough, I dont think i'd be chasing the high power figures. I'm more likely to run with whatever one I chose and be happy with it but its easy saying that now. LOL:D

The problem with buying a ready built is knowing that the job has been done "right". Doing it yourself, means you can do everything possible to ensure it is.

There's just too many places for a gotcha to hide for my liking, so personally, I would buy a stock car and mod from there.

The only exception is to buy a "high profile" car, that has been put together by a known and respected trader on here. That way you'll at least know it's history, and have a trader that you can go back to should there be a problem.

The last thing anyone is ever going to want, is to buy a Turboshit conversion that hasn't been put right.

Very true spotting a dodgy setup may prove difficult (unless there's wood screws hanging out it) but yeah what your saying about one put together by a known and respected trader is what I have in mind.