The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Gauge inconsistency

T2 MSW

Just looking for some others input into this one. I have an inconsistency in by Defi Boost gauge and my Greddy boost controller.

Been tuning the boost controller this evening and was recording the boost on the Defi whilst watching the boost controller. Got a setup that almost holds a steady 1.2 bar. Then was playing back the Defi run and whilst the peak on the Greddy was 1.19 bar the defi was showing 1.3 bar.

Which should I be trusting?

They are both plumbed into the same source off the fuel presure regulator.

In my experience the Defi boost gauge always over reads by (10kpa)or 0.1bar.

I've compared the Defi meters to lots of other devices, map sensors on ecu's etc and they always consistently over read by 0.1 bar.

I always tended to trust the HKS EVC I used as opposed to the Defi meter for setting boost etc although the meter is good for warnings but bear in mind that it is over reading slightly.

Regards

Nito

I wouldn't trust a peak reading, you may find that they correlate with each other normally but on the spike when both turbos reach full boost, one took it's data sample at a slightly different time to the other and got a higher reading.

Boost pressure is all over the place, not a nice steady level. Gauges and stuff have smoothing capabilities (low sample rate, averaging, or a good old fashioned fluid dampened needle) to make it readable.

-Ian

I'm referring to steady state boost, not peak readings in my post above.

As Ian says, Peak readings are often far higher as its more sensitive to fluctuations/spikes than most other devices. The higher the boost you run the more exaggerated these peak spikes are, again in my experience!

Rgds

Nito