The mkiv Supra Owners Club

restrictor question

adam bell

i was speaking to my friend who i bought my uk spec tt off.

i asked him about the restrictor ring after reading and seeing it so much on the site.

he said that when it was fully decatted and the new blitz exhaust fitted the ring was taken out and the boost was set to run at 1.2 bar boost.

going through the search section i noticed some people dont use them at all.

the car was running without its ring for about 18 months with no probs as well.

i asked him if he had it on a dyno he said he did but couldnt remember what it was running.

the car has no decatts full blitz system,air filter upgrade,colder plugs,front mount intercooler (large one ),

any rough estimates on power and does it sound safe like this as i dont want to chance anything really

Jap spec cars need restrictor rings due to the smaller wastegates. Once you decat them they cant control the boost and it can often spike to well over 1.2 bar. Hence the reason a restrictor ring is needed to keep the boost at or below 1.2 bar

With a UK spec, decatting will not massively raise the boost, you need a boost controller to get it up to 1.2 bar.

Sounds abit dodgy to me if he cant remember what BHP he got it dyno'ed at, if i new id like remember it for life! I would have thought anyone who got a dyno read out would be smug about any BHP he was pushing out and would not only remember but keep the read out with the cars history, shame you couldnt get a copy.

Back to your question, only had a supra for a few takes but at a guess id say 370 maybe

Are you sure it hasnt got a manual boost controller fitted? Usually a bleed valve or ball and spring valve located in the turbo pipework by the wastegates. Have a look in your engine bay :)

intersting it hasnt got a boost controller fitted.

i wonder how he done it.