The mkiv Supra Owners Club

convert!!

danny_silva

i gents!!

im in the process of converting my bilstein stock shocks to adjustble ones!!! it is easy!!

if it works out we can have stock shocks and stock springs and adjust the heigh of our car... :)

if anyone is interest i can do a post with pics a results!! :D

i thing it is a good way to have your car very low or not so low on a very cheap buget!!:p

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmmm Ide like to see how you are doing it.. My only issue would be safety, with I guess the only way of testing would be to drive on the road... Are you adjusting by compressing the spring or shortning the shock itself... Either way Im not sure if it sounds safe...

Surley the cost of a set of height adjusteable ones, outweighs the cost of damaging the car or your life...

Just my opinion but ide like to see the development, good to think outside the box too! just be careful...

JT

I would imagine that lowering the car on the stock springs would seriously affect the ride quality. Personally, I'd rather fork out for a decent set of springs as the bare minimum - these are not cars that deserve cheap bodge-jobs!

Guest DaveWilko
I would imagine that lowering the car on the stock springs would seriously affect the ride quality. Personally, I'd rather fork out for a decent set of springs as the bare minimum - these are not cars that deserve cheap bodge-jobs!

How about giving the man a chance? We don't even know what he has done. Are you talking about those weld in threaded tubes that convert normal struts to adjustable?

thanks for the chance!! so far i have mine rear shocks to -15mm,-30,-45!!

you can go more but i use 19" wheels so a set mine to -30mm!!

u will still have the same quality that you had before because you are not cutting nothing!!

i will do a write up for all of you!! please say what you think!!

1st you take your shocks out and by compressing the spring take them apart!!

2nd: you have a ring on the shocks were the spring sits!! right?

turn the shock around so its facing the ground and slowly with a hammer push the ring

down about 1.5"!!!

if you are going to do this you will see that u have like a "clip" on the yellow part of the shock!!

3 step: you take your shocks to a manual turner and do external groves with 1.5mm thinck and only go 0.5mm deap!!

You can space the groves like me!! from the original one i did 15mm and all 3 equal!!

so i have from std -15mm, -30mm,-45mm!!

finally you take the "clip" and move it to were you want!! them slowly you push back the ring were the spring goes!! MAKE sure the clip is in the ring so it wont came out!!

fit your std springs back on and mount your suspension again!!

Result: you have your car low, or very low and still runing with stock suspension!!

If the japaneses did it 15 years ago and their still in our car it is safe!!

I hope you all understand, my englis is not very good!! :)

i will post pics of everything that im doing!!

oh, and if you want or std setup just take the wheels of compresses the spring and put the "clip" back to orignal grove and voila!!

Cheers

Danny

Okay, ignore my first post..

The springs are tested over the length of the unit, and to the tension that they can take. Clamping a few coils together WILL not be ideal. Yes it will lower the car, however it will also completely screw up the spring rating, given that you now have three sections of tension in the spring; The bit above the compressed coil; the bit below the compressed coil; and the compressed coil itself. This is a BAD IDEA, the spring rate will also probably be too soft and you will end up bottoming out the dampner (Causing it to pop). Lower kits SHOULD come with slightly shorter dampners, otherwise the length of travel is severly affected.

This is not a good idea in my opinion, you own a supra and as such don't do bodge jobs to it, spend the money and get decent springs or just don't do it.

This is almost as bad as compressing and then heating the coils.

But this is just my opinoin, feel free to ignore it.

Guest DaveWilko

Sounds like a clever idea to me. The groove is in the same tube and no deeper than the standard one so it isn't going to weaken it. Show us the pics! :D

Sounds like a clever idea to me. The groove is in the same tube and no deeper than the standard one so it isn't going to weaken it. Show us the pics! :D

You reckon cutting into a spring is a good idea?? It does weaken it, of course it will, you have just cut into the overall structure of a single coiled piece of spring steel (or whatever they make them of)

Guest DaveWilko
Okay, ignore my first post..

The springs are tested over the length of the unit, and to the tension that they can take. Clamping a few coils together WILL not be ideal. Yes it will lower the car, however it will also completely screw up the spring rating, given that you now have three sections of tension in the spring; The bit above the compressed coil; the bit below the compressed coil; and the compressed coil itself. This is a BAD IDEA, the spring rate will also probably be too soft and you will end up bottoming out the dampner (Causing it to pop). Lower kits SHOULD come with slightly shorter dampners, otherwise the length of travel is severly affected.

This is not a good idea in my opinion, you own a supra and as such don't do bodge jobs to it, spend the money and get decent springs or just don't do it.

This is almost as bad as compressing and then heating the coils.

But this is just my opinoin, feel free to ignore it.

That was my first thought too mate but if you think about it, you aren't altering the spring or the length of it, just the lower spring seat. Its the same principle as coilovers but with less adjustability. You are right about the dampers but 2 or 3cm shouldn't do any harm

Guest DaveWilko
You reckon cutting into a spring is a good idea?? It does weaken it, of course it will, you have just cut into the overall structure of a single coiled piece of spring steel (or whatever they make them of)

He isn't touching the spring. The lower spring seat is removable and sounds like it is held in place with a circlip. He is just making a few additional lower grooves to lower the spring seat

you aren't altering the spring or the length of it

The way I read it and correct me if I'm wrong, but he is taking about putting a clip on a few coils.. That is altering the length of the spring to me.. It alters the entire physics of the way the spring works.

Its the same principle as coilovers

Not even close

You are right about the dampers but 2 or 3cm shouldn't do any harm

Wait until you hit an expected bump, I can say this from experience, I had a golf mki that I lowered the 'budget' way (I was 17 and stupid)... 1 week later, hit a pothole and the dampner popped where it hit the bottom of its travel.

If you are really considering doing this, then be warned, and don't expect to see the above guide in Technical anytime soon (Awaits Ian C's comments :p)

He isn't touching the spring. The lower spring seat is removable and sounds like it is held in place with a circlip. He is just making a few additional lower grooves to lower the spring seat

Okay, I stand corrected on that aspect of it then.. I must have mis-interpretted, apologies.

I'd still be concerned with the possible issues with running normal springs with a height difference due to the travel issues.

Guest DaveWilko

If you fit lowering springs with standard shocks it will reduce the damper travel too. He isn't being stupid about how much he is lowering it. If he was talking about 10cm I would be horrified butthe amount he is talking about isn't unusual for lowering springs

This is basically how the 3 stage height adjustable TRD struts work. They use Bilstein dampers with 3 grooves in the damper 10mm apart, the spring seats can be positioned on either of the 3 grooves to basically lower or raise the ride height as desired.

If you fit lowering springs with standard shocks it will reduce the damper travel too. He isn't being stupid about how much he is lowering it. If he was talking about 10cm I would be horrified butthe amount he is talking about isn't unusual for lowering springs

Lowering springs also have a higher tension rating, which means they provide more resistance than standard springs, so they are less likely to bottom out.

Guest DaveWilko

Apology accepted Gav. No offence was taken anyway :) Sometimes a calming influence is very necessary where 'inovative' mods are posted lol

Apology accepted Gav. No offence was taken anyway :) Sometimes a calming influence is very necessary where 'inovative' mods are posted lol

Oh innovate away... I do on the way home and speak to another supra owner about the wacky ideas. ;) (Some of which will hopefully work, some are just plain wacky)...

If you are going down this route, then I'll probably suggest getting hold of an old bilstein section, have a look at the thickness of the section which you plan on cutting into, and make sure you have enough wall thickness, so you don't compromise the structure of the dampner too much.