The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Driving a 6sp from view of auto owner

Guest mk47

There are loads of threads about 'which is better auto/manual' etc, and thought I would add a bit for people who may be interested maybe in future buying a supra or just general knowledge.

I have a 94 TT auto BPU'd.

This evening i had the opportunity to drive a 6 speed manual supra also BPU thanks to Nick aka miami.

The experience in one word is 'amazing'.. So much more involvement, throughout the gearchanges and overall performance of the car over my auto was in a world of its own. I can safely say I've been convinced that 6 speed for *ME* is the way to go.

Not faulting the autobox at all because its great, but the difference in pull between the 2 - with the auto you have to kind of wait for the power to be put down using kickdown etc but with the manual I found that the power can be used consistantly by changing gears to constantly keep the turbos going, also off boost by just tickling the loud pedal the car just kept pulling and pulling.

Now before people start to say that something is not right with my auto ive driven many tt autos and find the difference between the two to be the same.

The auto is great as a touring car but I think the 6 speed in this day is a true drivers car.

I will be in search for a 6 speed as the next step in my supra ownership :)

Now before anybody feels they have something negative to say be aware these are my personal views based on my experience.

its a hell of a difference between an auto and manual mate, i can almost certainly say if you manage to have a good 'proper' drive of a 6 speed manual you will be hooked. i had a good drive maybe around 25 miles motorway and regular road driving was great and definately has sold itself to me.

I guess it depends a bit on what you want from the car. When I was buying, I did want a manual (and obviously it's not TT anyway). But in the last month or so I have actually thought that an auto would suit me better given the way I use the Supra. Not enough that I would sell mine to buy one - but if I was shopping now, I think I'd seriously consider an auto.

Ive been pretty happy with my auto box until now where ive had the chance to try out the manual. i suppose once you have experienced a test drive in both its easier to help you decide whats best but in my opinion the driver involvement, general driving feel and whole experience is in a league way above a regular auto tt. takes some getting used to at first but once you get the hang of things its just great.

I guess it depends a bit on what you want from the car. When I was buying, I did want a manual (and obviously it's not TT anyway). But in the last month or so I have actually thought that an auto would suit me better given the way I use the Supra. Not enough that I would sell mine to buy one - but if I was shopping now, I think I'd seriously consider an auto.

And i suppose if you are stuck in traffic every day auto would probably be a better option, im told aftermarket clutches are really stiff the one i drove was a mild aftermarket replacement and still had a tough feel to the clutch pedal. you would probably end up with 1 leg bigger than the other think thats one downside with aftermarket clutches but then that would be relevant if going for more power than stock.

And i suppose if you are stuck in traffic every day auto would probably be a better option, im told aftermarket clutches are really stiff the one i drove was a mild aftermarket replacement and still had a tough feel to the clutch pedal. you would probably end up with 1 leg bigger than the other think thats one downside with aftermarket clutches but then that would be relevant if going for more power than stock.

I don't get stuck in traffic much - but the Supra is primarily a town car for me, and I don't really treat it as a "sports" car - so driver involvement is less important to me.

I did once own an auto (not a Supra) for 6 months and as a daily runaround it does make life very easy. But I realise that's not what most people use their Supra's for.

I owned a single T78 auto a few years back and then moved to Skylines for a while, when I came back to Supras I went Auto again and it is one of the best, BUT because of the power i was running I had a conversion to six speed and since the six speed conversion i would never go back, the only frustration is that I think it should have been a 5 speed box from the start and fashion dictated a 6 speed which creates too many changes for the single set up, waits to get shot down !!:D

I've found every 6sp manual I've driven, whether it's with a stock clutch or with an aftermarket clutch, rather agricultural. It's not the most refined manual box in the world.

However, whatever you've got, as long as you're happy with it, it doesn't matter one jot what you've got.

:)

I've found every 6sp manual I've driven, whether it's with a stock clutch or with an aftermarket clutch, rather agricultural. It's not the most refined manual box in the world.

:yeahthat:

It's like a truck gearbox, isn't it.

I test drove an Audi A3 with the 6speed DSG semi-auto gearbox a couple of weeks back. Now that's a gearbox, full throttle shifts in 3 milliseconds. Sequential shifts by gear lever of paddles.

Can't wait to test one when they're fitted to next year's M3

There are loads of threads about 'which is better auto/manual' etc, and thought I would add a bit for people who may be interested maybe in future buying a supra or just general knowledge.

I have a 94 TT auto BPU'd.

This evening i had the opportunity to drive a 6 speed manual supra also BPU thanks to Nick aka miami.

The experience in one word is 'amazing'.. So much more involvement, throughout the gearchanges and overall performance of the car over my auto was in a world of its own. I can safely say I've been convinced that 6 speed for *ME* is the way to go.

Not faulting the autobox at all because its great, but the difference in pull between the 2 - with the auto you have to kind of wait for the power to be put down using kickdown etc but with the manual I found that the power can be used consistantly by changing gears to constantly keep the turbos going, also off boost by just tickling the loud pedal the car just kept pulling and pulling.

Now before people start to say that something is not right with my auto ive driven many tt autos and find the difference between the two to be the same.

The auto is great as a touring car but I think the 6 speed in this day is a true drivers car.

I will be in search for a 6 speed as the next step in my supra ownership :)

Now before anybody feels they have something negative to say be aware these are my personal views based on my experience.

I think you have a valid point here mate, cant wait to try out a six speed manual when things sort themselves out

Just thought I would mention I had an autoi - 6-speed conversion. In my experience the auto had smooth continous acceleration, whereas the 6-spped felt a lot more raw power to it. The auto box was obviously better in traffic, and indeed the 6-speed has indeed quite an agricultural feel to it. I fancied doing more track days and getting bigger power out of it in the future, so 6-speed was the way to go for me. Girlfriend preferred the auto though!

Im in the oposite situation. Ive only driven manual supras. 5 and 6 speed NA's the 5 speed suits the NA perfectly. the 6 speed however was a bit odd i found. I seemed to be constantly in the wrong gear. but i guess that was me driving arround thinking right this corner is 3rd when in the 6speed it was actualy more like 4th. i only drove the car for a day. but it was an interesting drive. it didnt feel much different to my 5speed tho.

I went out in my mums merc today (dunno which one it is but its a 2 seater convertable) and that is an auto. and it was horrable, cruizing along average revs. not accelerating or anything and it would change down. then back up. then would change down halfway through a corner. If the sup's did that it would be backwards in a hedge.

:)

Completely agree with that....its probably what give the Supra that tank feeling. :D