The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Slow drive to work! Another safety thread.

RedM

Today I managed (bar a few occasions) to get to work without going over 2k.

Roads travelled varied 30, 40, 60 and M-way speed limits.

The only times the revs were higher were on moving from a full stop, going up a steep hill and, obviously on the m-way. I'm sure that this is down to the autobox and that a manual could keep the revs down better.

I noticed that, in deliberately keeping the revs down, meant I wasn't on the brakes nearly so much. None of those 'slower' car infront. I was staying with the rest of the traffic rather than scooting off with the usual 'light' throttle usage.

No kickdown on roundabouts. No RLTC intervention and no skittishness on the crappy roads.

So, basically, it's more than possible to do a normal journey barely troubling the 1st turbo, let alone the 2nd. All it requires is the patience to not use the throttle too much.

Give it a go if you are worried about the coming winter and wonder if, instead of learning to drive faster, some people would be better off learning how to drive slower.

Also, that same journey normally uses one 'block' on the fuel gauge. I used just over half the usual amount today and the journey took roughly the same amount of time.

Iv been trying this stuff too. I can so easily use 3-4 bars on my way to work and I did when I first got the car.

Now I use 1-2 and play a game where I try not to go above 3k revs on motorways and 2k revs on normal roads lol.

I just find it so hard to keep my foot from pushing the accelerator. Its embarassing when you have a Mitsubishi Warrior right up your arse on a dual carriageway (like happened earlier!)

Iv been trying this stuff too. I can so easily use 3-4 bars on my way to work and I did when I first got the car.

Now I use 1-2.....I just find it so hard to keep my foot from pushing the accelerator. Its embarassing when you have a Mitsubishi Warrior right up your arse on a dual carriageway.

It's also interesting to note how little throttle is needed to accelerate at the same speed as other cars while still keeping the revs down.

i havenow mastered the art of driving like miss daisy!! :D

as this is my 1st winter with the beast, i have decided to practise early.... i can keep below 3k revs all the time now, which is only just touching on the 1st turbo.

just wondering if its actually worth me going bpu at the moment as wont be able to use it til weather improves anyway...hmmm...what to do! :)

It's not about MPG.

It's about being able to drive comfortably in winter with the rest of the traffic but NOT doing anything that may cause the *cough* dreaded kickdown or the back end to step out.

TBH if you complain about either of these then you aren't driving properly.

IMVUFHO;)

Today I managed (bar a few occasions) to get to work without going over 2k.

Roads travelled varied 30, 40, 60 and M-way speed limits.

The only times the revs were higher were on moving from a full stop, going up a steep hill and, obviously on the m-way. I'm sure that this is down to the autobox and that a manual could keep the revs down better.

I noticed that, in deliberately keeping the revs down, meant I wasn't on the brakes nearly so much. None of those 'slower' car infront. I was staying with the rest of the traffic rather than scooting off with the usual 'light' throttle usage.

No kickdown on roundabouts. No RLTC intervention and no skittishness on the crappy roads.

So, basically, it's more than possible to do a normal journey barely troubling the 1st turbo, let alone the 2nd. All it requires is the patience to not use the throttle too much.

Give it a go if you are worried about the coming winter and wonder if, instead of learning to drive faster, some people would be better off learning how to drive slower.

Also, that same journey normally uses one 'block' on the fuel gauge. I used just over half the usual amount today and the journey took roughly the same amount of time.

Or buy a cheap diesel runaround and put the Supra away till spring

Guest DaveWilko

Haha! I'm glad to hear other people with MPG OCD. I filled the tank just after the fuel light came on Sunday before last and been trying (with varying degrees of success) to stop my right foot sinking to the carpet to see how many miles I could get from a tank. So far I have done 272 and waiting for the light to come on any second lol

EDIT: Got 302 miles in the end. Was quite chuffed. I usually got 280 from the Golf. It took £58 to fill the Golf with super unleaded and £68 for the Supra so I'm not using that much more fuel