The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Replacing bulbs??

Havard

I did a search this week and came to the conclusion that the main headlight bulb in a j-spec NA could be replaced by a Uk 9005/HB3 bulb with a little adjustment to the exterior lugs on it!

Bought a bulb, adjusted the lugs and guess what? The electrical connector doesnt fit........:blink:

The J-spec bulb has a single ridge in it where the UK has two!

Does anyone know where I can get a j-spec bulb or how to get rid of the ridges inside the new bulb so the electrical connector can fit inside?

Thanks

H.

If you've got JSpecs why not buy Jspec bulbs and have no messing. PB can supply them

PB are saying that a 9005 is the replacement. Just went to my local shop and a 9006 is an exact replacement from a connector point of view, I just need to clip the lugs and then it will be a doddle!!

H.

Well guess what?

The 9006 didn't fit either!!

Surely someone knows how to replace a main hewadlight bulb and also where to get the correct one from!

It looks as if I'll have to get another 9005 and melt the guides to fit the connector in the car!!

H.

Sounds like your having fun mate!!!!!.....:p

Just had similar problem. Replaced j-specs with UK glass. Old bulbs didn't fit. Got new Uk bulbs from Mr T £7-50 each. They do Uk and J-spec off the shelf.

Christ! I wish i'd have known that this afternoon!!

I'll put up a thread with pics but it has basically took me 4 hours to change a headlight bulb!!

H.

Right then! Got the light sorted, it has basically taken 4 hours, three trips into town, and a lot of swearing!!:blink:

These are the pictures of the bulbs I have been messing with. After looking at threads on here it seemed that the 9005 bulb had to have the outside lugs clipped to fit in the back of the headlight and the electrical clip in the car would just fit in!!

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/976/overheadbulbspainthu7.jpg

Got a 9005 light this morning, trimmed the lugs and fitted the bulb into the back of the headlight assembly no problem! Tried to connect the clip............no joy!!:rolleyes: Then found out the problem, the 9005 light had twin guides inside the connector where the j-spec bulb had only one! Got out my screwdriver and tried to break off the guide, oops flipped the bulb out of my hand and smashed it one the floor......:(

Went back to the shop and told the guy behind the counter my problem and showed him the original bulb. Whoo hoo, he had one that was exactly the same shape electrical connector with one guide (9006), the lugs needed clipping again but we were in business. Got the bulb back home, clipped the lugs and fitted it onto the connector in the car. Checked the lights, all working!:) All I needed to do now was fit it inside the headlight............fook!! It doesn't fit, the main circular body of the bulb was too wide.....:blink:

http://img65.imageshack.us/img65/2046/frontonbulbspaintsj5.jpg

Went back to the shop again. They had no 9005's left! Went to another shop and bought a 9005, practiced melting the guides with a hot screwdriver and cut out the remains with a stanley knife! Job done!

Then I get posts that say I could have bought them from Mr T....:(

What a great day!!

H.

;) A well thought out explanation there Mr Mac ;) i too didnt know you could get the ( J Spec ) bulbs from Mr T too :blink:

Cheers

-Ian-

So I've been told but Nic reckons you can't get j-specs over here but surely I am not the only person to have had this problem. Maybe it's a "facelift" thing!!

H.