The mkiv Supra Owners Club

taking your car off road.

bmx1lew

just a few daft questions about taking my car off road

anyhooo my tax runs out november 30th and mot is due so going to take my car off road for the winter and bang it in the garage, what do i do?

1.you do have to sorn it off road and when putting back on the road will it cost any extra?

2.do i need the mot it befor or does it not matter, then mot when putting it back on the road.

3. also do i need to take the wheels off or any thing like that as stuff may seized?

4. how ofted do i need to turn the engine and how long for, my new alarm starts the car every 12 hours :blink:

5. also as my garge is dam do i need a cover or any thing

advice much appreciated

lew :eyebrows:

1. yes if not taxed

2. no, but if you want a nice running history best to keep a mot on it, easier than explaining why you didnt have a MOT for 6 months if you ever sell

3. some people remove there wheels to stop the tyres becoming damaged, and release the handbreak

4. one a week for 10 mins wouldnt be unacceptable i would imagine

5. make sure all your windows are wound up to stop mould, i would chuck a blanket over the top of the car just to protect it

mine comes off the road at the end of oct, usually cover it with an old duvet, disconnect the battery and run it up to temp at about 6/8 weeks.

if the floor of your garage gets damp park it on cardboard and if possible on a good dry winters day get some air through the garage (my garage is 80 x 60 so no problem).

then its a pisser, 24 wks till 1st of MAY. keep it sorn'd and insured.

Ideally you'd get it in a garage with a dehumidifier as all those shiny metal parts don't like condensation, but a well ventilated dry garage should be fine.

You can get tubs of dehumidifying crystals from Woolies that you can put inside the car (pass footwell is fine) that will keep the inside of the car dry and damp/mould free.

Stick it on axle stands so the weight of the car is off the tyres.. just having the tyres a cm or so off the ground is fine.

If you have an automatic battery charger then stick it on and leave it connected on a timer for a couple of hours a week.

Spraying WD40 over the bare aluminium parts of the engine also helps.