The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Don't loose your Soop this Winter - Starting NOW!

Sharpie

Autumn is well upon us and the roads are much colder in the mornings and late afternoons/evenings so, just keep a check on your right foot and not using #2 turbo as much this time of year. We loose too many Supra's each year and it normally starts around the time the temps have dropped and traction is reduced compared to summer.

I hope this granddad post makes some people think about their driving style, since air temps are now down to the low->mid teens.

I hope we don't see many photo's like this in the coming weeks/months :(

damaged%20supra%201.JPG

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

anddad post makes some people think about their driving style, since air temps are now down to the low->mid teens.

It's fantastic isn't it! All that nice cold condensed air is doing wonders for the performance....Err....

I mean, yes folks, drive sensibly.

;)

In all seriousness if you're new to your Supra or just been plain thrashing it about this summer it's easy to forget how easy they an bite in the wet damp weather.

Rory thats when it catches you out I find ;) You just got to be alert for that supes arse to wiggle or wander ;)

My previous bmw 525 sport was much more tail happy than the supra due to having an LSD ... I really miss having one as its so much more controllable to slide around.

The bmw was useless in the snow and the supra has even wider tyres so I dont see it being much of a winter car lol

To add to Pete's post - every year we see mainly newish members posting up saying they wrote their Supra off. Without fail. Usually substituting 'diesel' with 'black ice' in the 'insert excuse as to why it wasn't your fault here' field. :)

The key thing to remember is be smooth - no sudden inputs on any of the controls. Digital is not your friend in winter Supra driving. If you do find the back end stepping out, don't jump off all the controls and hope for the best - you're just going to be a passenger with a one way ticket straight to the scene of the accident. Steer into it, again smoothly. Brake in a straight line, then steer smoothly through the corner, accelerating gently only when you no longer have to steer other than straight ahead.

I hope this annoyingly condescending sounding post saves at least one Supra this winter through making owners who perhaps drive their Supras a little....... erratically think about what they are doing behind the wheel. These aren't safe FWD or 4WD cars that put up with even the most hamfisted control inputs we drive - they are high powered RWD cars with a tendency to bite. Hard.

Cheers,

Brian.

both my turbos come in at 4k revs how bad is this going to be.

while it has been dry i have been out and about getting used to the supra and its very tricky for a newbie to keep hold of,coming of a roundabout earlier with traction control switched off got the car straight in second gear foot down and back end was all over the place.

traction control i seem to get on well with dont know of any other peoples opinion on this though

Good advice guys! Not looking forward to it to be honest! Been use to 4WD the last year, and it loved the snow and the damp as youd imagine.

Drastically changed my driving style since having the Supra, you really do have to give these cars the respect that they damn well deserve. keep well away from turbo no 2 in the wet, i found this out after only having the car on the road on my first damp drive, only just 1 week into ownership!

Take Care!