The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Fibreglass dash - discuss.....

SteveL

At least you could fit gauges into the dash rather than have them dotted all over the shop...a nice stack display up front too :)

absolutely, I'm thinking something simple that takes the general shap of the dash and allows gauges and other instruments to be mounted to personal tastes...

I agree, i HATE a-piller mounted gauges (i have them there), i would much rather have something incorperated into the centre console, unfortunately my fibreglassing skills are very very limited.

same here mate, mine are all mounted in the area where the stereo and clock/vents were.

.. and my fiberglass skills are non-existent!

Wouldnt it weigh quite a lot?

Dunno Rob, thats part of the reason for the thread, as its not my field of expertise ( Mind you I dunno what is :o )

:yeahthat: Wouldn't it also squeak, rattle and also be dangerous in the event of an accident ??

Unless it is for show use only

... not too bothered as the lack of any soundproofing and a helmet pretty much negate that for my needs !

Wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective to take a standard dash and sander (other implement) to thin it out from the back like the racing types do with bodyshells? The faux leather coating can't weigh much, take off most of the backing, replace the fixings / supports with aluminium and do the same with the facia panels?

My fibreglass sub box weighs quite a bit, I have no idea what a standard dash comes in at but I can't imagine it being any lighter in fibreglass.

Wouldn't it be easier and more cost effective to take a standard dash and sander (other implement) to thin it out from the back like the racing types do with bodyshells? The faux leather coating can't weigh much, take off most of the backing, replace the fixings / supports with aluminium and do the same with the facia panels?

My fibreglass sub box weighs quite a bit, I have no idea what a standard dash comes in at but I can't imagine it being any lighter in fibreglass.

... now this is what we need - nice one Michael...

So... whos got a spare dash :)

Fibreglass will be to heavy like Michael said. I reckon we might be able to modify the stock dash, remove a load of electronic stuff from behind there as well, probably dont need half of it, just let Dazza loose with his angle grinder! May be do what we did with our Time Attack RX7:

http://www.whifbitz.co.uk/images/forum pics/rx7 time attack/brand hatch/DSC02601.jpg

You should feel how much a stock wiring loom weighs, we're going to be doing quite a bit of chopping, most of it unused now.

• 1 year later...

Old thread Steve ... but, what I indend to do (when I get some time) would be to fabricate the design of my own dash out of wood etc. then take it to a fibreglass shop which which they use that as a mould. Alternatively, use a standard supra dash smoothed out (e.g. din filled in etc.) as a mould.