The mkiv Supra Owners Club

replacing handbrake grip, and auto shift lever grip, any advice please

KaoriFan

hi,

i am thinking of replacing both the following parts as they are showing their age now.

handbrake - only the handgrip section as it has many marks and scratches on it, the rest of it is fine.

auto shift lever - only the leather grip section, just for aesthetic looks, has a few scratches on the Leather.

how long would these take to replace?

appreciate any part numbers as well, if possible,and if they are easy to obtain

really appreciate any help on this

thanks

Ian

I bought a TRD chrome handbrake grip, it needed a bit of modification but fitted eventually. I have handed the car over to classic car services in Leicester and along with the remainder of the interior they are making a leather gator for the handbrake and are recovering the auto gear lever. I couldn't find a suitable gear knob replacement. The cost of recovering the brake lever and gearhandle was about £75

It is not possible to just replace the OEM hand grip on the hand brake as it is one complete piece. I can supply a complete new OEM hand brake for £62 including postage. These are relatively easy to replace.

http://img137.imageshack.us/img137/5237/p1030129bi5.jpg

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2029/p1030131ve3.jpg

I can also supply a new OEM auto gear knob for £25 including postage, I've never replaced one of these, but there are a lot of members who have who should be able to comment how easy the job is to do.

It is not possible to just replace the OEM hand grip on the hand brake as it is one complete piece. I can supply a complete new OEM hand brake for £62 including postage. These are relatively easy to replace.

I can also supply a new OEM auto gear knob for £25 including postage, I've never replaced one of these, but there are a lot of members who have who should be able to comment how easy the job is to do.

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the quick reply, prices are much cheaper than i thought.

My Supra goes away on Monday for a week to have some interior lights work done to it and also for the suspension to be checked over. I called the place today to get MOT at same time, and asked him how long it takes to fit the handbrake and auto lever.

Said he may be able to help on the parts as i need centre console as well.

He will call back and let me know, if he can't help with those parts, then i will place order with you for them and a few other things, and get them done in a few weeks time.

thanks Nic, for the help and info. sorry i can't be more definite right now. with family health problems i am trying to get everything done as soon as i can, but if not, i will do it later on.

ja ne, or as you are in HK, xie xie

Ian

Ive replaced the auto knob with a new OEM leather surrond, i faced a bit of a problem when it came to the OD button, from memory the original clip that connects the wire leading from the button to the wire within the centre console wouldnt fit through knob, which means i ended up having to cut then solder back the wires together