The mkiv Supra Owners Club

newbie oil question

d00gzy

Having problems working out if my car needs oil or not. Heres my problem ....

Theres 2 dipstick, 1 at front saying " engine oil " and an orange stick behind it, with a catch holding it in!

On the engine oil stick at the front when i dip and bring out it shows nothin ....

On the stick at the back, once the catch is released, it says there is about twice as much as the full mark would be.

Im confused!

IMAGE_409.jpg

IMAGE_410.jpg

IMAGE_412.jpg

The front "stick" means you need some oil, The second"stick" means get your engine warm, then test it......its your gear-box oil

Having problems working out if my car needs oil or not. Heres my problem ....

Theres 2 dipstick, 1 at front saying " engine oil " and an orange stick behind it, with a catch holding it in!

On the engine oil stick at the front when i dip and bring out it shows nothin ....

On the stick at the back, once the catch is released, it says there is about twice as much as the full mark would be.

Im confused!

damn i wouldnt drive it or start it if i were you if the oil dipstick is not showing anything.. put some oil in and see if it reflects on the dipstick if not check for leaks

I'll admit to being puzzled by that one too. I've tried to get a user manual as I have an import, the only manual I could find was a servicing manual which came on a disc from ebay, great if you know what your looking at or reading about. I'll have lots of questions for anyone at the Jap Finale on the 7th.:(

turns out the bloody oil warning lights on the right hand side of the steering wheel dont light up when the engine is started. Im guessing they're not working! thanks for your help guys, a have been driving this car for over a month and a half thinkin the oil was fine! will fill it up 2morro, any preference of oil?

Dry as a bone mate! On my old car it was a long thin dipstick identical to the one at the back with the orange ringpull on it! thought they mightve been mixed up!

Had to resolder my oil warning light circuit board and to my surprise there is no warning, even tho that stick is dry!

I give up!

Just bought a litre of Castrol GTX 10W40, will stick some in and keep dipping till i see oil.

Unless anyone thinks i should try something else! but this is doing my head in!

There can be a fair amount of oil below the line of the dipstick. Stick a litre in and see if it appears. Once you get oil back on the dipstick, drive it for a few hundred miles and see if it eats it or leaks it out. If it doesn't, relax and do a full oil and filter change. If it does, come back and see us :)

-Ian

cheerz guys, would be stuck without the info. I put half a litre, drove it, and nothing. Put the rest of a litre bottle in and i think theres a touch at the very bottom of the dipstick. Will get another litre i think n do the same again.

Glad i read on the forum about someones oil warning lights not working or i wouldnt have known that mine werent, or how to sort it!

By the way, i got ripped off lol

Went to halfords for the litre bottle and it cost £8

then taken the Mrs to Tescos and seen a 2 litre bottle of the same make for £10! ...... lesson learned!