The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How do you remove the lower boot rubbers?

lexsum

Ok having used the search button I found out my noise in the rear end was the boot rubbers. So I get a set off ebay and go to change them. Now the top two have a bolt holding them in (10mil I think) but the bottom 2 I thought had 2 screws each but it looks more like rivets. So how do I take them off without damaging the car as it seems like a common operation?

Be very careful mate, what seemed like a very easy job for me turned into a nightmare. The screws have some sort of bonding on them and i strongly recommend you heat the screws up before taking them out. I just got straight to it and cross threaded the screw heads and had to drill them out, it was a real ball ache.

Be very careful mate, what seemed like a very easy job for me turned into a nightmare. The screws have some sort of bonding on them and i strongly recommend you heat the screws up before taking them out. I just got straight to it and cross threaded the screw heads and had to drill them out, it was a real ball ache.

I TOTALY 10000000000000% AGREE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If they won't unscrew directly, cut away the old rubbers and use molegrips at the same time as the screwdriver. Done 2 lots like that.

This is what I ended up doing also as a limp wristed IT professional.

Having a decent screw driver and strong grip helps tremendously.

Micro blowtorch on the offending screws after cutting away the rubber, protect the area around it with a few layers of tinfoil if you aren't too steady.

Get a decent large screwdriver that fits the screws properly and apply a bit of twisting force while heating, all of a sudden the screw will turn. You'll smile at this point.

The important thing is to ensure you don't attack the head before this point, you'll ruin it and make it harder to remove. If you have knackered it already cut a decent slot in the top with a hacksaw and use a flat blade driver instead.

Replace them with an allen bolt for the sake of the next person who has to do the job in 2020 :)

This is what I ended up doing also as a limp wristed IT professional.

Having a decent screw driver and strong grip helps tremendously.

It's only the left wrist that's limp...because of all the mouse-work with the right :p

Anyway, that's what tools are for - to make jobs easier.

Replace them with an allen bolt for the sake of the next person who has to do the job in 2020 :)

If you buy the proper screws from Toyota, they now come as hex-headed bolts, with a screw-slot too, so you can use either a screwdriver or socket set.

did it today - the difference in rear noise is incredible. it took just under an hour and i now need a small amount of touch up paint! the reason they looked like rivets is that someone had previously had a go and chewed up all the heads - this did not help! glad it is over and glad the noise has gone. now just need to get a new rear bearing and rear tyres and my car will be perfect.

oh great, i had exactly the same, bought new set of ebay, top ones no prob, bottom, a joke, tried one screw didnt work, so its a drill out job then, great, that will be why the set came with allen keybolts then lol