The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Who runs with a baffle?

ADD

howdy all, ive been running the car with the baffle in the exhaust recently coz the neighbours arent happy wit the noise at night, the differenct in power and response is madness... does anybody else use their's with a baffle, if so do you get the same results as me???

I've had the baffle in my NUR Spec for a couple of years now.

The car definately feels a little more sluggish to drive so it would not surprise me if I was losing some power by using it.

It does quieten the car down a lot and I have been thinking of removing it again recently but I think I am likely to get complaints from the wife.

Removed my baffle last night and drove into work today without it.

The car definately feels livelier and sounded absolutely wonderful (I had forgotten how good it sounds without the baffle).

Unfortunately the wonderful sound of the exhaust was being spoilt by the nagging sound coming from the passenger seat so I expect that the baffle will be going back in over the weekend.

Made a baffle for my old system, found it took 50 BHP away:( i now use an Apexi ECV.

How do you find that? I'm in the process of fitting mine, but was in two minds wether to drill the butterfly, as I'm a little concerned about excessive backpressure.

Have you adjusted yours to close half way or more?

I run with a baffle in mine all the time and my wife still complains that the car is too loud. I have not run the car mapped on the t-61 without the baffle so not sure how much power it has dropped. But on I did find that the baffle dropped boost by about 1psi on my old import.

One member many moons ago drilled holes in the baffle to slghtly increase the noise and improve performance. Basically drilled lots of holes all round the long bit.

JB

How do you find that? I'm in the process of fitting mine, but was in two minds wether to drill the butterfly, as I'm a little concerned about excessive backpressure.

Have you adjusted yours to close half way or more?

I actually ended up having to grind down the butterfly slightly due to it not opening and closing because one side of my pipework is 2.5" and the other 3" but you can't actually boost with it closed anyway and if you give it too much throttle it will behave like its got fuel cut, (worth remembering when trying to get out of junction's quick;))

I don't think drilling will help with noise suppression ie defeat the object, as mine is only quiet when its pretty much fully closed.

I have a Nur Spec R and I drive mine with the baffle for long journeys, and if I have to get up very early in the winter for many consecutive days.

But at all other times, I take it out 'cause it sounds so nice!

But you might be interested to know that I actually dyno'd my car with and without the baffle, as I was interested to see how much performance I actually lost.

It turned out that I made 315RWHP (it's a BPU Auto) with the baffle out, but only 305RWHP with the baffle in, and a drop from 1.2 to 1.1 bar.