The mkiv Supra Owners Club

auto's dumpvalve's and gearchanges?

TurboBrett

just been talking to a guy selling his auto twin turbo and aparently auto's back of the throttle when they shift blowing the dumpvalve? :blink: could have swarn auto's just shift up with no dumpvalve sound as they shift?:tongue: or should the tick in the cons box for this be moved to the pros box for the auto :D

any one with a tt auto care to enlighten me? ;) lol

cheers Brett

• 9 months later...
its just is there anypoint in buying an atmospheric bov for the supra auto?

For funny noises and might be of benefit if your stock BOV has seen better days.

The HKS SSQV gives off a really silly noise. With an auto you can hear it if you build up some boost on number 1 turbo and then let off the throttle. You can also hear it letting off very quickly when the autobox changes up automatically under hard acceleration.

hello i know this is an older thread but its something ive been wondering myself, thinking of getting the hks bov, its just is there anypoint in buying an atmospheric bov for the supra auto?

an atmospheric bov is all about the sound ;) if you have boost you can make it chirp, regardless of auto or manual box, the auto does chirp on a gear shift but in a very different sound to a manual chirp, the auto will only chirp at full throttle shift or a throttle lift

What I'm trying to say is that the Greddy Type S bov noise was sampled and used on all the cars in the fast and the furious.

The Type S makes an individual sound to other bovs. Kinda like the HKS SSQV, but every chav and their dad has one of those, so its not longer individual!! lol

My auto chirps on lift odd but not when the geer changes while im on the first turbo, but while im on both of them it chirps on changes.

I much prefer the flutter sound on lift off when you have about 0.1 bar of boost :p

:yeahthat: I also enjoy the fluttering at very low boost, as well as the full dump at WOT :) lots of grin factor for the money

What I'm trying to say is that the Greddy Type S bov noise was sampled and used on all the cars in the fast and the furious.

The Type S makes an individual sound to other bovs. Kinda like the HKS SSQV, but every chav and their dad has one of those, so its not longer individual!! lol

Thats why i like the GReddy bov, it gives off a nice ttschh noise with the 1st tubby and an even stronger louder 'bus like door' noise with the 2nd tubby. I love it! :D

My auto chirps on lift odd but not when the geer changes while im on the first turbo, but while im on both of them it chirps on changes.

I much prefer the flutter sound on lift off when you have about 0.1 bar of boost :p

I do too, except the fluttering isnt doing much for the Turbo's though...:D

I thought the MAF sensor on UK cars didn't like the air being released from the system due to an atmospheric BOV?

Good point, i just thought comp stall is never good for a turbo...:)

Sounds good though lol...:D

i think this aswell, i used to pull the vacuum line off my sard bov on my nissan s14a every now and then but always found myself putting it back as i found the flutter caused my car to be a little worse on fuel, and yes theres the boost slamming back againist the comp wheel, carnt be good really can it, saying that it never dun any damage to my nissans t28 at 1-1.1bar

my engine bay.jpg

i think this aswell, i used to pull the vacuum line off my sard bov on my nissan s14a every now and then but always found myself putting it back as i found the flutter caused my car to be a little worse on fuel, and yes theres the boost slamming back againist the comp wheel, carnt be good really can it, saying that it never dun any damage to my nissans t28 at 1-1.1bar

Nice S14a you have there mate, thats why some people fit 2 bov's to eliminate comp stall...

Mine doesnt flutter too much just if you hit in the right revs, you can hear it quite clearly though...