The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Going single..

ADL Mark

Well I've just taken the jump and ordered some new toys from Dusty at MVP..

PHR Street Kit

MAP ECU

Innovate LM-1, LMA-3 and CD-16

Should keep me quiet for half hour or so :D

I'm going to try and document the install if I can, looks like one or two small things might need sorting from what I've read. I think having a UK car I should be ok on the downpipe front, but will need something like a 90-degree fitting on the oil feed to miss the steering column.

I decided on the street kit mainly for the cast manifold and quick spool up time. I'm not really interested in BHP figures, I just want a well set up car that is realistically quick on the road. I've been following Wez's posts with interest ;)

I know the MAP ECU is a piggy back and not ideal, but it'll do as a starting block and I can then move on to other things as they come about. I've got big plans, but time and budget will dictate them :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best of luck fella!

Is the street kit the T61?

If you don't mind me asking, what is the MAP ECU setting you back? From what I've found it can cost only an extra £100 or so to go full standalone over some of the piggybacks.

For the oil return, both the BL and PHR kits will clear the rack if you make sure they include two 45 degree male/male adaptors instead of just one that the US guys need.

I've had the MAP2 ecu put on by interpro and they were amazed at it's functionality.

I'll reserve judgement until it's run in and fully mapped but as it's a relatively new product I can't grasp the amount of people knocking it. I haven't heard any bad things yet unless I me=issed something.

I love my MAP2 and have had good results with it.

ADL Mark - why have you gone for a MAP instead of MAP2 ECU? The smaller singles tend to need more timing adjustment than say a T67 and the original MAP ECU can't do timing adjustment (MAP2 can).

Cheers,

Brian.

tDR - I thought it would be good enough for the time being. I was led to believe that timing adjustment really wasn't needed until you're knocking on the door of 600+bhp, which is far more than I'm going to want.

To be honest, if I start doing much more to the car, then I'll look at going full stand alone with something like an AEM or Link.

Would also like to say that Dusty at MVP has been very helpful with answering all of my little nit-picky questions and has made ordering from the US a totally painless process :)

Is the street kit the T61?

If you don't mind me asking, what is the MAP ECU setting you back? From what I've found it can cost only an extra £100 or so to go full standalone over some of the piggybacks.

Sorry Homer, missed your post!

It's a GT60 officially, same turbo as the Stage 1 kit, but as far as I can see it's got a bolt on exhaust flange instead of V-Band.

The MAP ECU is $399 and I also got the Fields Harness to go with it, that already has the MAP ECU harness wired in. I've wanted a Fields for a while anyway as there's not much slack in the loom under the dash and it will make wiring in other bits and bobs a lot easier.

The whole lot that I ordered came to about £2800 delivered, I'll just have a bit of duty and VAT to pay on it when it comes in to the UK. The Pound is very strong at the moment, which is nice ;)

tDR - I thought it would be good enough for the time being. I was led to believe that timing adjustment really wasn't needed until you're knocking on the door of 600+bhp, which is far more than I'm going to want.

To be honest, if I start doing much more to the car, then I'll look at going full stand alone with something like an AEM or Link.

Would also like to say that Dusty at MVP has been very helpful with answering all of my little nit-picky questions and has made ordering from the US a totally painless process :)

You've been very much mis-sold :(

At base timing my car is only about 420bhp (guestimate as it was only about the same as my BPU TT, and far slower to spool). Timing adjustments make an absolutely enourmous difference to the power output and spool of the car. With the same fuel settings, mine rose by well over 100bhp once timing was tuned.

Just check out B'have's thread here for the difference a small amount can make: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=125402

I was going to use an EMB piggyback, which cost £400 to buy and £300 to map. In the end I got a PowerFC standalone for £450 and mapping done for £200. It was cheaper than the piggyback once 'other costs were taken into account. You can get a new Link G3 for only another £100 so it kind of makes the MAP ECU redundant in my mind - provided you have a localish mapper available. Edit: and your location means you have a local mapper ;)

That's all well and good for you manual owners Daryll - I've yet to see a proven reliable standalone ECU setup on an auto that doesn't break the box with silly high line pressures and which doesn't cost the earth.

RE: timing, forgetting the power aspect - on UK super unleaded a small single tends to need timing pulled in a number of points in the mapping. This is for safety as there is audible detonation with their agressive boost curves.

Cheers,

Brian.

Arse.. And I thought I'd done my homework too!

In fairness it wasn't mis-sold as such, I didn't ask Dusty the questions as I just read what Jarrett and Jo had written about the MAP. There's such different ideas about tuning between the UK and the US, it makes it quite hard to make decisions sometimes.

It's about another £200 for the MAP ECU2 and the harness for that, which starts spiralling costs for a piggyback a bit more than I'd like.

PowerFC wise, they're not made any more are they? So I'd have to happen upon a second hand one?

Where would I be looking for Link G3?

tbh Mark if I had a manual I'd have gone Power FC with commander - it's proven time and time again and does what it says on the tin. If you want to map yourself then budget for the dataloggit software and PFC interface. It's pretty intuitive to map as well.

Cheers,

Brian.

In fairness it wasn't mis-sold as such, I didn't ask Dusty the questions as I just read what Jarrett and Jo had written about the MAP. There's such different ideas about tuning between the UK and the US, it makes it quite hard to make decisions sometimes.

It's about another £200 for the MAP ECU2 and the harness for that, which starts spiralling costs for a piggyback a bit more than I'd like.

PowerFC wise, they're not made any more are they? So I'd have to happen upon a second hand one?

Where would I be looking for Link G3?

Dusty and co do recommend the MAP ECU, but I've never understood the argument they give.

From what I've found (the hard way!), the piggybacks are just not worth the money anymore, especially now that good standalones can be purchased for so little. I was lucky with my PFC and you are correct that they are no longer available.

If you shop around you will find that a Link G3 standalone for very little and will come to your house and map it for a small fee. It's only a fraction more than something like the MAP, but then have all the advantages of a full standalone rather than a signal fudger, plus tration control, and a few other nice bits ;)

You have a manual too, so don't have to worry about auto box control.

One thing though, just done a bit of digging... My car is a UK manual, it seems PFC is JDM manual only?

Good point, I'm sure Paul Whiffin/Ryan G can confirm if the PFC is suitable. However, seeing as they're quite rare its not really an option unless you get lucky. Thats why I mention the Link as they seem to be realistically priced.

None of the usual suspects seem to list the G3, any ideas where to look for pricing and to get an idea of features etc. Is it a 'Plug-n-Play' type system or will it need hardwiring?

I will PM Ryan G as somebody was telling me the other day he was talking about the Link and how much he liked it. I'll see if he knows about the PFC, but I've got a feeling it's specific to the J-spec Supra and that the wiring is different, and of course things like the MAF etc.

I don't want to go overboard, but I do want to get it right and not waste my money. Glad I posted this thread up, the advice and pointers are much appreciated guys, thanks :ok:

None of the usual suspects seem to list the G3, any ideas where to look for pricing and to get an idea of features etc. Is it a 'Plug-n-Play' type system or will it need hardwiring?

I will PM Ryan G as somebody was telling me the other day he was talking about the Link and how much he liked it. I'll see if he knows about the PFC, but I've got a feeling it's specific to the J-spec Supra and that the wiring is different, and of course things like the MAF etc.

I don't want to go overboard, but I do want to get it right and not waste my money. Glad I posted this thread up, the advice and pointers are much appreciated guys, thanks :ok:

Ryan will fill you in on the details, so suggest you give him a call. He's been honest and open with me and others in the past and I have no hesitation in recommending him. He also knows the PFC very well but I suspect will recommend the Link due to the extra features available (and less problems sourcing one). I think he also has a kit to make the Link plug and play.

Of course, if you want to question the advice given, I'd recommend you post up in this thread :) Ryan won't mind any open discussion on the forum.