The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Taking the aerotop roof apart.

AndrewOW

I have no idea if anyone has posted this before, but I would really appreciate a description of how to take the aerotop roof apart without breaking anything into tiny little bits!

I need to replace at least one of my weatherstrips (passenger side roof) before the bad weather starts again, as its leaking big time through the old rubber seal. I've done all the usual 'flat surface' in correct order reattachments, but as the rubber is 14 years old, its perishing, unfortunately. :(

I know Nic has posted previously a diagram of the 'exploded' roof etc., but how easily does it come apart? Are there little poppers/glued on bits to clean up and replace etc?

If anyone has attempted this, and hopefully hasn't had to get a new one(!), then I'd like some help, if possible, please! :)

Hi I have just replaced all the rubber seals on my car, and if I am reading your thread right it’s the curved piece on the roof its self you want to replace.

Take the roof off and turn it upside down there are two screws one at the front and one at the back undo these and peal back the rubber from the roof it has some black adhesive to seal it against the roof , the rest is held in to two channels which just pull out. When you buy some new one’s the black adhesive is already on the rubber, and it is just a matter of feeding it back in to the channels and replacing the screws.

Hope this helps… :)

Well thank you! That doesn't sound too difficult at all. I'll just wait for the next 'dry' weekend and attempt that. I have had a go at undoing those screws and pulling things about, but when it looks like it may tear, or a popper breaks, then I'll get frustrated and leave it to leak again!

I should've ordered all the weatherstrips and done them all in one go (cue Nic here ;) ), but I'll give this a go, and hopefully if I do then it shouldn't pose a problem :)

Cheers!

Well I took time out on saturday, between showers, and took virtually the whole roof apart, as I wanted to stick the roof lining back on to all of the little brackets as it rattled a bit, as well as fix the leak.

The whole job took a couple of hours, and after realising that the leak wasn't from the roof seal, but from behind the metal gutter that also holds the seal in place, I resealed it all with bathroom sealant, smoothed it all over, and put the new roof seal in. I tested it with a bucket of water.

Unfortunately it leaked like a sieve from the front side of the roof! I worked out that I'd been sent the driver's roof seal, rather than the passenger one! Luckily because I'd fixed the actual leak and kept the original seal (which was still in good condition), I refitted it to the roof. I tested it again, it looked fine, but its really been tested this morning as its currently peeing it down out there!

No leaks, its completely watertight again. Excellent! :)