The mkiv Supra Owners Club

need a little help

Guest D3V1L 666

Guest Chumpalot

Welcome to the forum.

Worried that you might not be able to afford it you mean? May I ask why you're considering a Supra then? Might be useful to get a bit of background on your reasons for wanting such a car.

iv had to take mine off the road for a couple of months due to running costs even petrol for one they drink heavey and ya go thought tires to and to keep the best parts on it not some cheap side option is hard if ya income ant that great the way i should have looked at it is if ya have to ask about running costs ya shouldnt realy be lookin at buying one but now i have it there is no way i can sell it lol so its just gonna have to spent a couple of months hear and there off the road hope to be some hgel!!!! and welcome to the form mate

iv had to take mine off the road for a couple of months due to running costs even petrol for one they drink heavey and ya go thought tires to and to keep the best parts on it not some cheap side option is hard if ya income ant that great the way i should have looked at it is if ya have to ask about running costs ya shouldnt realy be lookin at buying one but now i have it there is no way i can sell it lol so its just gonna have to spent a couple of months hear and there off the road hope to be some hgel!!!! and welcome to the form mate

http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/9776/grammarbq3.jpg

Depends on how much money you have mate! I am thinking that if you are worried now then maybe the Supra is not the car for you. I have an NA and I have been surprised how much money you can throw at these things.......:blink:

Good luck and Welcome!

H.

tyres £600+

service every 4.5k miles £100-300 (just bog standard services, no issues, which unfortunately do pop up, and not usually cheap)

insurance (not bloody cheap for certain, and don't go for cheap 3rd party option, I wouldn't feel comfortable driving it with only that level of cover)

brake pads £70+ per 2 pad set (without fitting)

petrol, might as well get yourself a credit card just for that, you'll get about 18mpg:blink:

and then you'll get the modding bug no doubt and you may as well put your money through a shredder:p

how's that??;)

It is an expensive car compared to many - but it does also depend how you run it. I have no desire to mod mine, so running costs have been quite reasonable. It does not cost me £600+ for a set of tyres on 16" wheels and I've found servicing pretty cheap.

Having said that - the Ford Focus I had before probably cost 1/3rd (maybe even less) to service per year and literally cost peanuts to run. If you are worried about running costs, you probably can't afford one.

What ever your reasons be for wanting a supra for get them! There no point in having a great car that just sit's there and looks pretty! You need to think sensibly about thing's as razza said running, insurance, servicing costs etc etc do add up!

Sorry to put a downer on it :( but hope you can afford one though :)

Running a supra is never cheap, ive had mine 2 years and already had to relace a clutch £700+, then i needed new rear tyres £600+, full toyota service £320, insurence at 21 with 6 points was £820 but thats with 5 years No Claims Bonus, it will drink £40 in a day even on small runs if you give it a thrashing, but if you wana fast car it comes at a price, dont be put off though once you drive 1 those bills seem cheap compared to the buzz you get when people stop and stare

Where do you buy your tyres from, Harrods?

Well icant be the only 1 buying good tyres RAZZA put that he payes 600+ for tyres aswell, you cant put a price on a good set of rubber, 2x 19" 265-40-19y tyres fully balanced and re-tracked £595

what do most people pay id be interested to find out

Well icant be the only 1 buying good tyres RAZZA put that he payes 600+ for tyres aswell, you cant put a price on a good set of rubber, 2x 19" 265-40-19y tyres fully balanced and re-tracked £595

I run Michelin Pilot Sport 2s, ridiculous 315x35x19s (i think thats the aspect ratio), and paid £500 for rears, fitted.

You had the rear re-tracked? What's that then?

265/40/19 ? Totally the wrong size tyres.

By the way, £595 is less than "£600+"

They aren't too bad to run but that depends on what you are used to driving if its a little seicento then they are expensive :D

Spend money and more importantly time finding a good example that will stand you well for reliability. If you plan to mod it then expect things to wear out quicker.

Expect 20 mpg or less for the first couple of months.

If running costs are a concern then i think you need to look elsewhere im afraid, because the last thing you want to do is buy one then have something expensive go wrong and being left with a car you can't fix or drive.

As an example replacing the turbos (if you aren't mechanically minded) will set you back £1300 for the turbos + £800 labour !

except I pay £600+ for 4 tyres, not 2, and they're on 19's as well...