The mkiv Supra Owners Club

My T61 and Airbox Pics

Gaz6002

Hi all,

Here are some pics of the progress so far of my T61 single turbo install. It is still an ongoing porject and there is plenty more to do (yes, heatwrapping amonst other things).

I have got the PHR stage 1 T61 turbo kit but with Boostlogic manifold, downpipe and mid-pipe and Tial wastegate.

As you can see, i've also had an airbox fabricated to house a TRD panel filter. Initial testing has shown greatly reduced air intake temps although i'll try and document this against a similar setup in the future.

All the work has been done by Toyota GT and to say i'm impressed with the install is a bit of an understatement!

We are now working to get the car running correctly with the fuel system I've purchased and ironing out a few little issues with the ECU but it's nearly there now :)

I've still yet to open the wastegate in anger and driving the car off-boost is bloody hard work!! The turbo just wants to spool!

So here are the pics. Be nice! ;)

The whole setup:-

Airbox gets cold air from inside the wing:-

TRD Panel filer:-

T61 tubby:-

Also, huge thanks to Ryan.G for these pics and also for all his help so far. He really does know his stuff and I look forward to letting him fully map my car once she's ready.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good point, but would it not be better to open it up a little more? More airflow?

Sorry to rain on your parade... but I had a similar one on my old WRX in SA, and at WOT it would struggle with getting enough air.

I don't want to open it up more mate. It's feeding colder air from close to where the side-mount IC would fit (away from engine bay heat) and the opening is large enough to flow the air. Consider my parade dry :)

Looks nice :)

Have you a picture of the intake at the front? (SMIC side)

I shall try and get some to post up

Thats a clever design. Does the box have any heat shielding material inside it ?

I bought some for my stock airbox and it certainly helps.

No heat shielding as such (other than the metal) but would be interested to see what you have used.

Oh, pull out and weld up the top elbow pipe stubs, too, a rubber U pipe as a blank look `orrible ;) Someone should productionise that air box....

This will be done as part of the "refinement" schedule :) and don't worry, we've got the dimensions of the box saved in a safe place...

And close your breather system :)

-Ian

There is a small K&N on there now for the time being, we are looking at utilising the airbox design for this too. The car wasn't 100% driveable at time of pics, hence no clips on some of the hoses too. These pics we just to show the general idea.

Thanks for all the nice comments, as stated it's still very much a work in progress but coming along nicely.

Why do people feel this is too restrictive.......its no smaller then a standard box, and the pipe feeding it from the wing and then to the turbo is no smaller then any other cone filter.....?

Just thought that the two almost 90degree bends would impede flow. I daresay it wont be a real problem, and keeping heat away from the intake is great ! Does look good too, a very neat solution :)

Was very impressed with this on Sunday Gaz.

It won't be suitable for many of the singles as most have the IC pipe routed where your intake is.

I think I'm going to put my old ARC airbox to use and make something similar, except have the air supply coming up from underneath (where the SMIC used to be)

Hi chaps,

Too bad we couldnt dyno the car sunday.

Good feedback though and some great ideas to help move on with this project.

If that airbox restricts flow before 600hp i will eat Gaz's and make a new one :D fortunately this build was only looking for 450 tops anyways :cool:

Look forward to see this car at the ring next year :eyebrows:

Hi chaps,

Too bad we couldnt dyno the car sunday.

Good feedback though and some great ideas to help move on with this project.

If that airbox restricts flow before 600hp i will eat Gaz's and make a new one :D fortunately this build was only looking for 450 tops anyways :cool:

Look forward to see this car at the ring next year :eyebrows:

I have been talking with Gaz over recent months as there are a couple of bits I would now like you to do for me.....

Firstly, when I do (long story), but when my car comes back from the body shop, I would like one of your flippy motors, could this be arranged.....?

And after seeing that air box, I would like one of those as well, Im only Hybrid turbos, so the box restriction wont be an issue...

But respect for the good work and good reports that have been coming back through Gaz.....we have had some right cowboys around here recently.....