The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Locking wheel nut woes...ive tried everything and still cant get it off!

Sean1933

Well as the title says really. last time my tires were changed some prat of a garage did the lcoking nuts up too tight. When i tried to undo it 2 of the lugs on the locking nut snapped off :(

I took it to a garage to see if they could get them off with their "special tools". 1 came off, but not the other 3. in the process on of the rears is now really messed up as they tried to hit it with a chissel which just broke it up, now theres very little to get grip onto. I also took it to an engineering company but they said they couldnt weld to it without damaging the wheel, help!!!

Front Left: DSC00747.JPG

Front Right: DSC00749.JPG

Rear Right: DSC00748.JPG DSC00759.JPG This is the bad 1, the garage really messed it up as there is nothing really to grab or bang a nut onto!

The one i got off!: DSC00760.JPG You can see where the lugs should fit in.

Locking key remains!: DSC00761.JPG There used to be 4 square lugs on here!!!

need to get nut welded on mate

You should be able to weld a nut on there without damaging the wheel...!! I would just tac a 19mm nut on and weld up the middle. You may get a tiny bit of spatter on the wheel at worst! There would be heat but as long as you didn't go mad I would expect to get away with it. Let's face it, what other ideas have you got?

H.

You should be able to weld a nut on there without damaging the wheel...!! I would just tac a 19mm nut on and weld up the middle. You may get a tiny bit of spatter on the wheel at worst! There would be heat but as long as you didn't go mad I would expect to get away with it. Let's face it, what other ideas have you got?

H.

Weld on a nut as aposed to a socket...that could work i guess!

What about if u put a socket on there over the remains of the nut and weld them together on the inside of the socket, ie through where u will then attach the breaker bar? Or isnt there enough room to do that. Welding is one of those things on the list to learn :D

drill a hole as previously suggested and use what some call an easy out its a reverse threaded tool to removed damaged or snapped bolts ,scewfix have em i think but get good quality ones or you will end up with a snapped easy out stuck in your bolts aswell

http://www.toolprice.com/category/screwextractors/

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsessionid=ATDDDV3EV0QFQCSTHZOCFFY?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=bolt+remover

drill a hole as previously suggested and use what some call an easy out its a reverse threaded tool to removed damaged or snapped bolts ,scewfix have em i think but get good quality ones or you will end up with a snapped easy out stuck in your bolts aswell

http://www.toolprice.com/category/screwextractors/

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;jsessionid=ATDDDV3EV0QFQCSTHZOCFFY?_dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=bolt+remover

I know what you mean now, but i cant see how that would work as its the stud i will be drilling into not the nut...as there isnt a 'middle' so to speak of the nut.

Guest DaveWilko

Easyouts wont work on the stud. It isn't screwed into the hub. The idea is to remove the bit the nut is screwed onto by drilling it out so the nut just falls out.

Easyouts wont work on the stud. It isn't screwed into the hub. The idea is to remove the bit the nut is screwed onto by drilling it out so the nut just falls out.

Whats what i thought, thanks for clearing that up :D

Screwfix tomorrow me thinks! Anyone know the partnumber for the toyota studs? Im just being lazy not i know :D

Thanks for all your help guys.

What a proper engineer would do would to weld something (a nut maybe) internally to the stud. If its a good weld them it will turn. If not the he would drill the stud (in the middle) and try EASY OUTS (as prescribed in earlier post). Befors this he could maybe try heating the whole area, This would expand the stud aswell as the whole area around the stud. This would expand the stud but also the area arounds the stud. The stud should then contract qiucker than ther surrounding area and, maybe loosen the stud, so that it can be undone. If uit has beeen drilled in the center then it can be drilled out to the point that the stud will break up. If not the spark erroding is your only bet. This should get the pin out leaving the tread intact.

What a proper engineer would do would to weld something (a nut maybe) internally to the stud. If its a good weld them it will turn. If not the he would drill the stud (in the middle) and try EASY OUTS (as prescribed in earlier post). Befors this he could maybe try heating the whole area, This would expand the stud aswell as the whole area around the stud. This would expand the stud but also the area arounds the stud. The stud should then contract qiucker than ther surrounding area and, maybe loosen the stud, so that it can be undone. If uit has beeen drilled in the center then it can be drilled out to the point that the stud will break up. If not the spark erroding is your only bet. This should get the pin out leaving the tread intact.

I think a proper engineer would realise that wheel studs are fitted into the hubs from the rear and have a shoulder and splines, so there is no hope of removing them with easy outs.

Drilling the stud with the same sized drill is probably the only option.

Guest DaveWilko

OMG! A proper engineer would know that the studs are pressed into the hub from inside and are on SPLINES, not screwed in. Hence no amount of screwing will turn the studs! Yes you could try TIG welding a socket to the locknut but thats a lot of heat very close to some nice, soft alloy wheel. Why risk scorching the wheel when 5 minutes with a centre punch and drill will remove most of the stud from inside the locknut. Then you try using the damaged locknut key again. The hollowed out stud breaks off taking the locknut with it

Btw I hope this isn't insulting you but drill slowly. If you go in at full speed the drill bit will heat up too much and blunt very quickly

Arr yes, you would be right. Hops clouded one's judgement. if this is true then drilling to the right size wont make a difference as the thread will still remain, or you will drill the thread out of your wheel hub. hopefully someone can weld something to the top of your nut. If not im unsure on what can be done, dont know how the thread is secured into the hub of the wheel. could to allthread through the hub, or could have been machined as one piece

Guest DaveWilko

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! All becomes clear! You think the nut screws into the hub! If that was true you would be spot on mate. Its not though :D There are studs poking out of the hub that the alloy slips over and nuts screw onto the studs