The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Turbo cooling time?

fri3ndly

I have been looking into purchasing a turbo timer, but have read in the forums and found out its near enough impossible (or a very hard job) to get a turbo timer to work with my Toad Ai606 alarm.

How long should I leave the turbo's to cool down roughly?

At the moment I am waititng roughly 3-4 minutes after every journey I make even if I havent been booting it to be on the safe side, but if I drive out in it and hardly use the turbo is it safe to turn straight off or not?

On my MR2 T I always left the turbo timer on auto and it used to take into account how hard I had been driving the car/time I had been driving for and the average time it used to work out was around 2-3 minutes sometimes 4 so I'd think you were about right where you are.

When I used to drive just through town to the shops (off boost, sticking to 30,etc.) I just switched it off!

Guest Chumpalot

I have mine set to a minute but if I've taken it easy for the last few miles then I'll switch it off after 20-30 seconds.

Can you set your Toad to auto-alarm after say a minute? That coupled with you taking it easy on the last leg of your journey should be sufficient.

I agree with the driving off boost for the last few miles, then let it idle for a while (not normally longer than a minute).

I seem to recall from somewhere (although it maybe complete rubbish) that if the turbo timer is able to let the engine run for more than 60 seconds that this would make any CAT1 certification of your security system null and void.

I agree with the driving off boost for the last few miles, then let it idle for a while (not normally longer than a minute).

I seem to recall from somewhere (although it maybe complete rubbish) that if the turbo timer is able to let the engine run for more than 60 seconds that this would make any CAT1 certification of your security system null and void.

Leaving your vehicle unattended with the engine running is illegal ;)

Leaving your vehicle unattended with the engine running is illegal ;)
Only on a public road.

And turbo timers invalidate your alarm's CAT One certification.

Just don't turn your car off within a mile of thrashing it. Toyota saw fit to not equip the car with a turbo timer. They know a bit about these things.