The mkiv Supra Owners Club

What's the score with Dyno results these days ???

lui

Just wondered how dyno's are calibrated & why is it from one dyno company to another you don't get same results.

How can one compare figures to members cars when from one Dyno company to another when they always seem to differ.

Surely all dyno results should be simultaneous readings where ever you go not one figure from one & different figures from another.

Just wondered how dyno's are calibrated & why is it from one dyno company to another you don't get same results.

How can one compare figures to members cars when from one Dyno company to another when they always seem to differ.

Surely all dyno results should be simultaneous readings where ever you go not one figure from one & different figures from another.

It's not that way at all Lui. Dyno's can be made to report whatever the heck you want.

Most dyno's are operated out of tuning houses or are chosen at a mappers preference, these (as has been displayed here for many years) tend to provide favourable results - the cynical amoung us might say this is to support the houses/mappers significant fees were worth the money...

I personally prefer to go to a completely independant RR company that have no links with mappers or traders to get realistic results (hence SRR recommendations).

If you just want a nice dyno result go to Thor and cross out the word 'fly' and replace with 'hubs' :D

Had a disappointing result?

Not yet but once my car is fully mapped up will most probably going to Surrey Rolling Road to see what she's pushing out but why should it matter where ever you go, shouldn't they all be accurate within reason ???

Depends on the type of dyno, if it's a hub or wheel to roller, and if it has one or two rollers per wheel, how it brakes the car, how quickly it allows the car to rev through it's range, what software it's running and how it interperates the data, how it's calibrated, what ambient temps, intake temps & barometric pressure are taken into account, if the operator fiddles with parameters and if the operator has a product to sell or writes fly hubs in pencil on your sheet.

Guest DaveWilko

Hehe it also depends what gear the car is in and what pressure your tyres are at - if its a 2 roller dyno the 2 rollers make for 2 contact points and deform the tyre into a w shape. Pumping your tyres up to 42psi gives a higher power reading

Bit annoying actually, I am looking into dynos at the moment as I will want one in the spring but say I want a dynapack, it now has the reputation of being somewhat generous shall we say ? Can be corrected by the operator but doesnt alter the reputation.

Thing is, I may be a little space constricted as this is a new business venture and cant afford a HUGE unit as I dont yet know my demand level. A dynapack would be good as I could pack it away when not in use, plus they have some advantages such as no tyre degradation, no slip etc.

Dyno dynamics do a portable dyno which I have a price for and the SRR dyno is a dyno dynamics. Also getting a price on a Maha, as used at Merlins, but that will be a fixed dyno.

Bit annoying actually, I am looking into dynos at the moment as I will want one in the spring but say I want a dynapack, it now has the reputation of being somewhat generous shall we say ? Can be corrected by the operator but doesnt alter the reputation.

Thing is, I may be a little space constricted as this is a new business venture and cant afford a HUGE unit as I dont yet know my demand level. A dynapack would be good as I could pack it away when not in use, plus they have some advantages such as no tyre degradation, no slip etc.

Dyno dynamics do a portable dyno which I have a price for and the SRR dyno is a dyno dynamics. Also getting a price on a Maha, as used at Merlins, but that will be a fixed dyno.

Get a dyno sunk into the floor, it makes life so much easier than trying to get lowered cars up ramps like at SRR.

For me it would be between a dastek or DD dyno

both have pro's and con's

The one thing i would use though is the Cooling fan that dastek make.

Dastek is quite abit cheaper also matt and you dont have to worry about getting it imported.

I wouldn't go for a Dynapack myself due to the hassle of having to remove the damn wheels everytime and you always find one fool who forgot to bring his locking wheel nut remover.

Ryan

Yeah I'd rather go for a roller dyno, but like I say I might have issues about digging a hole.

Question though, what about tuning BIG power drag cars. Can roller dynos cope ? I know they can hold the power, it's just the way that the power comes in. Also, I heard you can't put slicks on a roller dyno ?

Had a bone stock GZ Auto TT for a winter, holy crap was that entertaining !!! Thought about getting windscreen wipers for the side windows :D