The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Struggle, 1 down , 4 to go.

ShamelessTT

Hi all,

Replaced my door handle / lock today (1 down 4 locks to go, new locking set). What a bitch!!!!

It turns out the person who broken into my car had pulled the handle so damn hard they have very slightly pulled out the fixings on the door making a new handle not sit flush and not get a decent rain seal!

Also on the origional lock, one of the metal fixings which is about 3mm thick steal had been broken off. I dunno what they hit it with, but my god it had some force behind it.

Anyway after sorting out the door by using a very long threaded pole and nuts to pull back in the fittings so the handle fitted flush, the struggle began to fix the door poles on in the cavity.

Its a good job im not the biggest bloke cos even with my hands its an absolute c**k to get the in there. Avoid it like the plague!

Anyway car looks great again now with the new handle etc.

Can anyone give me any info on how to change the ignition lock? and how difficult it is? Any special tools?

Cheers

Simon

Ok heres goes, i just thought id add the info so if anyones searching they wil find this.

To change ignition barrel, you do the following.

1. Remove dash on right of steering wheel.

2. Remove elumination surround (2 screws at bottom, and a push in stud at the top right)

3. Turn the ignition using the origional key to either postion "ACC" (JSpec) or the next position to the right from that (UK Spec or later models it would appear)

4. Then about 2 - 3 inches back from the front of the barrel theres a tiny hole, pull on the key and press down the little metal button thats blocking the hole. This will release the lock.

5. To put the new lock in, again turn the key so that the protruding metal button can be pressed down (ACC position or the next one on) then slot the lock in and make sure the little button clips in the whole at the back.

If you've no got the key, its a much bigger job lol!!

Cheers,

Si