The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Red Bull Can Exspansion Tank?

TT-DEK

HI. A few weeks ago at a meet, whilst parked i noticed fluid dripping? Checked it out and the fluid was coming from the above Red Bull Can. Now this has been fine for almost a year now but was a little concerned? ie H/Gasket? but all seems well apart from this overflow? The Rad/Engine cooled down and equalised pressure and water level in rad returned to normal-ish?

So i topped up a little, made sure there was a little in the RB can and left it. Yesterday, whilst out on a spirited drive on my return i checked this again and the fluid level was again slightly over flowing from the can. Checked it this morning and all is normal?

Anyone any ideas on why this is happening now after almost a year:search:

HI. A few weeks ago at a meet, whilst parked i noticed fluid dripping? Checked it out and the fluid was coming from the above Red Bull Can. Now this has been fine for almost a year now but was a little concerned? ie H/Gasket? but all seems well apart from this overflow? The Rad/Engine cooled down and equalised pressure and water level in rad returned to normal-ish?

So i topped up a little, made sure there was a little in the RB can and left it. Yesterday, whilst out on a spirited drive on my return i checked this again and the fluid level was again slightly over flowing from the can. Checked it this morning and all is normal?

Anyone any ideas on why this is happening now after almost a year:search:

I would be more concerned who carried out work on yor car and stuck a red bull can in there as an expansion tank!! are you sure its only just happening, could it have been happening before but you just didnt spot it??

I would like to know more about this aswell. I was at the meet where Dek had the problem and I couldn't understand it...:blink:

The red bull can and the pipe into the top is not sealed. It seems like the system is expanding more than the can can take. Although others say that this mod is not unusual and has worked in the past.

I work in the pressurisation industry so all the theories should be the same. Does anyone know how much water is in a Supra cooling system and also what temperature the water will get up to?

H.

I would like to know more about this aswell. I was at the meet where Dek had the problem and I couldn't understand it...:blink:

The red bull can and the pipe into the top is not sealed. It seems like the system is expanding more than the can can take. Although others say that this mod is not unusual and has worked in the past.

I work in the pressurisation industry so all the theories should be the same. Does anyone know how much water is in a Supra cooling system and also what temperature the water will get up to?

H.

:clap: You took you time with this thread:p:d

H, it'll get to 120 degrees C. Not sure tthe dry fill volume, but it should be in the spec sheets somewhere.

A solution is to get down to a local brakers and check what small expansion tanks are available to fit in the space you have. You'll probably be able to get one bigger than the RB can that will hold all the coolant that expands out. *Edit* Bob beat me to it :)

Or you could leave it and see what level it stays at after a few hard runs. If it stops leaking and the rad level is ok then you can probably leave it as is. Topping it up above this rad level will just keep losing that amount of coolant.

H, it'll get to 120 degrees C. Not sure tthe dry fill volume, but it should be in the spec sheets somewhere.

A solution is to get down to a local brakers and check what small expansion tanks are available to fit in the space you have. You'll probably be able to get one bigger than the RB can that will hold all the coolant that expands out. *Edit* Bob beat me to it :)

Or you could leave it and see what level it stays at after a few hard runs. If it stops leaking and the rad level is ok then you can probably leave it as is. Topping it up above this rad level will just keep losing that amount of coolant.

Cheers Steve!

At 120 degrees, water expands at 6%...:blink: Depending on what amount of water is in the system I find it hard to believe that a 300mm can will hold the expansion. Also if the system is open to atmospheric pressure then it will flash off into steam!!

I am more confused than ever now....:(

I think you advice with regard to the spirited runs is the best as the engine will get hotter and therefore the expansion will be more than normal driving. As long as the actual system is full then it doesn't really matter about the coolant you have lost!

H.

:blink:According to my Toyota hand book it takes 9 litres of red life coolant if that helps you H with Math:rolleyes:

Cheers DodgyRog
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_cool.gif

P.s.....dont no if coolant will expand at the same rate as water as its denser :search:

In which case the can isn't big enough!!.......:blink:

Although I only have info on water and not coolant expansion %'s...!!

H.