The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rad boiling

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

Got home earlier from a bit of a long drive, locked the car up started to walk away when I head the rad boiling... let her cool down and the rubber on the rad cap had perished. Thank god I had a spare sitting here :)

Just a gentle reminder to keep an eye on your engine temp gauge :D

ya mines the same if i remove the rubber will it be ok?

Nope, the rubber part is on a spring that under a certain pressure (1.1bar on the stock one), will raise and release coolant to the expansion tank. If it's missing, the spring won't raise and the rad will overpressure.

You have to get a new one as soon as the rubber part starts to fail. (Been there before!)

Guest Nicholas
Nope, the rubber part is on a spring that under a certain pressure (1.1bar on the stock one), will raise and release coolant to the expansion tank. If it's missing, the spring won't raise and the rad will overpressure.

You have to get a new one as soon as the rubber part starts to fail. (Been there before!)

As Homer say's buy a new one you don't keep driving it like that do you??

Guest Nicholas
long story but mine is was new , after my single install i was refilling my rad only to realize i was put auto oil in DOH , only about 2ltr before i realized lol, i drained it out but must still be some in there it's eat ten the washer ,

no way!!!!
/vbb/images/smilies/bbcode_shock.gif

You first want to drain it all out (& dispose of it properly) then use some detergent to remove the oil. Mix up some ( a very small amount)washing up liquid with water & refill the engine (heater on full heat). Run with the rad cap off for a few minutes then dump it all out. If you see that it has some of the oil floating on the top when drained into a bucket do it again.

Once it all comes out clean with no floating oil then flush X 3 with clean water.

Then I'd suggest using one of the Halfrauds twin pack rad & block cleaners. Might as well while the coolant is drained out. This is quite time consuming, but it cleans everything out a treat.

Then refill with DECENT coolant. Toyota premixed if you can afford it. I used Comma extra long life red coolant with BASF glystatin base that is one of the organic acid types. This should keep the cooling system clean for 5 years. Also if not using premix, use deionised or distilled water to mix with the concentrated antifreeze.