The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Which cooler?

Gazboy

With the thought of doing more trackdays next year I thought I'd make use of the space on the near side of the nosecone, so should I go for an engine oil cooler, or pas cooler or transmission cooler? I'm thinking more the transmission cooler being an auto, but thought I'd ask the experts.

I'm no expert....but I've gone for an ATF and a PAS cooler in the nearside space. From what I've learned these two fluids will be the first to exceed their normal operating temps on track, whereas the oil has a bit more safety margin.

Done both Cadwell and Snetterton this summer on warm evenings and not exceeded 118deg C oil temp. A full track day on a hot summers day might see higher temps though. Also, depends on your spec (I'm BPU).

There's nothing wrong with being cooler though. On this basis I've got an oil cooler in the garage waiting to go on if / when I get my arse into gear:)

So my choice was ATF + PAS first, oil second.

HTH:)

Well, you should be able to get away with putting a PAS cooler where the stock one is, in front of the rad. A small Mocal cooler should do the trick. I've yet to see a Supra driven on track that HASN'T overflowed the PAS reservoir due to overheating, so definitely a good move that. But that leaves the nearside for an oil / ATF cooler.

I don't have an auto, so can't comment on how much that overheats, but my oil temps were very high my last track session before I fitted a cooler - so much so that I had to come in earlier than I would otherwise and let it cool. It also heats up your engine coolant trying to shed the extra heat. So I'd get an oil cooler if you are going to be doing more track days - I have a smallish Mocal cooler. Dunno about ATF as I said, I think I'd do both. It gets expensive in plumbing and fittings, that's the only thing.

Simon, how hot did your oil get, out of interest? Also, I take it you were running the single at this point?:)

Nah, this was back when I was BPU+. It got to around 128C IIRC before I came in. I had the oil temp sensor in the oil filter union at the time. It was a very hot day though I think.