The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Is this boost gauge any good???

Jamesy

Hi guys i need a boost gauge as mine is rubbish - unfortunately i havent got a massive budget right now after doing a few bits to the car recently!

Have found this brand new Type R one for under £19 delivered. I know its not gonna be the best but will it be ok do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TURBO-BOOST-GAUGE-Bar-52mm-Toyota-Supra-Celica-gt4-mr2_W0QQitemZ170150714914QQihZ007QQcategoryZ72205QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

cheers! :D

Interesting... what is that gauge like mate? Seem to be quite good value?

Guest DaveWilko
Interesting... what is that gauge like mate? Seem to be quite good value?

I love it. Has smoked glass face and lights up white with red needle when you switch the ignition on. It is an electrical one with boost going to a switch which then sends signal to the guage. It is easy to read cos its 60mm and I don't miss that vent. I stuffed a cloth down the tube to block it.

Quite easy to wire in. the red wires from the switch and guage join into the black and yellow wire from your ignition switch and the 2 black wires are grounded. thats it.

I do 52 mm ones, mechanical, really easy to fit, choice of white or black face, for 52 pounds complete with fitting kit. Two wires for illumination, and a single hose to the plenum, job done.

oohhh that may be just what i need - as i have a (shitty) one already installed - should it be a case of literraly unplugging the old and plugging in the new one?

(whats the difference between mechanical and electrical boost gauge mate?)

what make are they and do you have any pics at all?

cheers dude! :D

It is an electrical one with boost going to a switch which then sends signal to the guage. It is easy to read cos its 60mm and I don't miss that vent. I stuffed a cloth down the tube to block it.

Quite easy to wire in. the red wires from the switch and guage join into the black and yellow wire from your ignition switch and the 2 black wires are grounded. thats it.

I am a bit lost with these electrical gauges - mechanical ones I understand - and have plumbed these in before.

What do you mean by "boost going to a switch" - I'm assuming there must be something somewhere to actually read the boost values?

I am a bit lost with these electrical gauges - mechanical ones I understand - and have plumbed these in before.

What do you mean by "boost going to a switch" - I'm assuming there must be something somewhere to actually read the boost values?

Yes basically the boost hose runs to a sensor, then that has a wire that transmits the pressure signal to the gauge. The mechanical ones I have had in the past just run the hose straight to thegauge.

Guest DaveWilko

I think mine is faulty :( I seem to remember reading somewhere that at idle the boost needle shows -0.8bar and at full boost around 0.9. Mine shows -1.1bar and 0.55. Seems like the face is out of position by about 8mm

Yes basically the boost hose runs to a sensor, then that has a wire that transmits the pressure signal to the gauge. The mechanical ones I have had in the past just run the hose straight to thegauge.

that's what I thought - I'm assuming said sensor comes with the gauge.

Am I also right in thinking that expensive/better gauges come in 2 seperate pieces - like some kind of sensor controller, and then all gauges plug into the controller unit? I think Defi do this? Or have I misunderstood?

EDIT: Sorry for hijacking thread - won't say any more - promise!