The mkiv Supra Owners Club

A day of slipping and sliding in the Supra.

RedM

Phew! What a journey to work this morning. Loads of rain. First of all I get wheel spin while trying to get across a roundabout in a hurry. Then I get all wiggly going around another roundabout and so on and so forth.

Which is strange really as I have RLTC with a STRICT winter 'wet' setting from RL guru Terminator.

I managed to 'test' the unit and it still works so what caused the issues?

I'll tell you and, yes, it's blindingly obvious.

Tyre wear.

Eagle F1s with about 1mm to go until the minimum tread depth bar.

Look, just because a tyre isn't as smooth as a babies bum doesn't mean that it still has grip.

We drives Supras. Please, all of you out there remember that they need good tread depth to put the power down or hold the lardiness in place in the wet.

Replace your tyres sooner rather than later and don't pinch pennies when buying. There are worse things than wheelspin.

Phew! What a journey to work this morning. Loads of rain. First of all I get wheel spin while trying to get across a roundabout in a hurry. Then I get all wiggly going around another roundabout and so on and so forth.

Which is strange really as I have RLTC with a STRICT winter 'wet' setting from RL guru Terminator.

I managed to 'test' the unit and it still works so what caused the issues?

I'll tell you and, yes, it's blindingly obvious.

Tyre wear.

Eagle F1s with about 1mm to go until the minimum tread depth bar.

Look, just because a tyre isn't as smooth as a babies bum doesn't mean that it still has grip.

We drives Supras. Please, all of you out there remember that they need good tread depth to put the power down or hold the lardiness in place in the wet.

Replace your tyres sooner rather than later and don't pinch pennies when buying. There are worse things than wheelspin.

Alao may be a tad heavy on the right foot..

It maybe to do with as well.... well certainly in the south, that we haven't had any significant rainfall for over 3 weeks. Therefore, 1st downpour and the roads turn into an instant skidpan. Road grime builds up when the road is dry and getting it wet makes the road very very slippery.

Just remember (without sounding patronising) that things likes ABS and RLTC and traction control etc are driver aids, and are NOT to be relied upon to get you out the shit. Drive to your abilities, the conditions, and the characteristics of your vehicle.

Be safe, be smooth with your inputs and be careful.

Everyone should take this advice onboard. Nothing quite as annoying as people who cut corners when it comes to purchasing tyres.

Although, it's worth pointing out that it's often worthwhile to shop around for tyres. You can save a small fortune.

However, make sure you are shopping for decent tyres in the first place.

I'm just ordering some F1s now. By shopping around and buying fronts from one place and rears from another, I've saved myself nearly £100!:blink:

Guest Chumpalot
Although, it's worth pointing out that it's often worthwhile to shop around for tyres. You can save a small fortune.

However, make sure you are shopping for decent tyres in the first place.

Goes without saying.

Also, descriptions given to tyres on various websites shouldn't be taken as gospel. I forget the thread now, but a while ago someone purchased a set of tyres based on this alone and was promptly told by fellow members that they were crap tyres.