The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Rear Upper Wishbone Bushes

T2 MSW

In the process of changing my rear wishbone bushes. Got the lower ones out no problem but the uppers are a PITA.

Can anyone recommend from experience how to get them out, below is a list of what I have tried.

Bearing press - can not get enough preasure

Heated the wishbone in the hope it would expand slightly :rolleyes:

Vice and large mallet

Drilled the bush out - broke crist knows how many drill bits.

Today I have take the bush to a MOT station and they have tried pressing it out but they are having the same issues I am, the inside of the bush is just moving (on its pivot) which means it bends the bolt. Cant get a flat service to get a big enough plate on it and therefore enough force behind it.

Is the only option left to get a hacksaw on the internal shield and cut it to bits? once cut in half will it come out??

Now you know why it's a job I politely decline :)

They aren't a normal rubber bush, so you can't burn them out and slit the outer shell, with a hacksaw. They are spherical bearings. I take it you are replacing them with some plastic deformable things, having been told they take the compliance out, but actually you will be adding it, and to somewhere you don't want it. One of the makers of these things is asking for design engineers in the back of Autosport magazine. Quite what qualifications you need to design a spongy plastic bush to replace a spherical bearing I don't know...They obviously have good marketing people though :)

I have just bought both upper and lower arms to replace mine........bought one lower from Toyota UK, cost a little over £200 if memory serves me correct, then bought the other lower and two upper through Nic for just over £400 although I did have an O2 sensor in with that as well, but good prices through Nic as all 4 through Toyota UK would have been expensive......

Contact Nic mate, might have to wait 5 weeks though, so not sure if your Supe could be off the road till then......

I did a massive search for this part mate - you cant get it.

The bush has a fused metal insert and the bush kits you buy are only PPE. I even called australia ( for everyones reference thats where all the branded high end bush kits come from I found out! all made by 1 place)

I did get an Email saying they were working on on but was in testing. Also give a place called TRAC ART a ring they were very helpful and were also working on it at the time.

to be honest your going to have to but an arm :( gutting I know !

Put a pair of new top arms on, and a pair of new rear lower toe links.

Chris - which is the lower toe link? Is that the short arm or the long one?

My rear suspension is worn and I have new Teins going in (without the top mounts because a lot of people say they're too loud and there's no benefit). I have the rear lower arms (short) ready to go in on your advisement. Hopefully this fixes the shifty side to side yawing of the rearend.

Put a pair of new top arms on, and a pair of new rear lower toe links.

Cheers Chris. Will be buying new upper arms and getting someone else to install them. Ive replaced the bushes in the lower arm from my kit and will be doing the same with the sway bars.

But to answer peoples questions about is it difficult on a MKIV - darn right it is. 3 hrs today to do just the lower arms due to rusted bolts etc, The role bar links were the worst.

Chris how difficult are the sway bars to get undone? And are they the same type of bushes as the lower arm or the ones in the upper wishbone?

• 2 weeks later...