The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Where to get V160 gearbox oil? Toyota can't get it anymore???

gsportcars

I rang Toyota today to order some gearbox oil for my V160 and got promptly told that they do not supply it anymore at all:blink:

As I have heard this is the only place you can buy it I am a bit stumped as to what to do. I know this is the only oil recommended for the getrag box so what do I do????

Any help much appreciated.

I know how you feel mate. I believe Nic the import pimp on here can still get some. I've filled mine with Fuchs Titan ATF a few thousand mile ago as recommended on here along with Royal Purple.

Thanks Mike :thumbs:

I can get the V160 gearbox oil still ,it'd take a few weeks to order though.

Ahh,

Just did a lot of reading there and it seems that the royal purple synchromax is the stuff to get.

Where on earth does it say that? In all my years here I've never heard anyone recomment Royal purple sync oil as a suitable gear oil.

The ONLY other oil I know recommended by Toyota (or BMW who use the same gearbox) is Esso Dextron D21065

Edit - Well b*gger me! it appears D21065 is basic dextron II! The alternative gear oil to the V160 is apparently discontinued by Mobil, so that doesn't leave much other option apart from generic sync gear oil. I guess that means there's not much choice (apart from choosing supplier - Valvolene, Silkolene, Royal purple, etc).

FWIW Steve Manley was still able to get some last time I spoke to him. Plus Pheonix have a stock ;)

I have been looking into this recently too

Apparently (and this is from an email i got from getrag themselves)

Esso Dextron D21065 is the only oil the v160 and v161 gearboxes were ever tested with.

Apparently, Toyota just rebranded this oil and sold it on

Its still available (telephone call from exxonmobil earlier today) but only in 20 litre cans. They are seeing if they can get me some.

John