The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Boost Controller Advice

DODGYDODDS

just a quick one, Do you think i should change from an evc hks controller, to something else, or stick with it, opinions much appreciated

I've seperated this out into a seperate thread for discussion - best letting your old one die off ;)

Are you running stock jap ceramic turbos? If so, how are you limiting boost?

As for raising boost, all of the name brands do a decent job - HKS EVC, Greddy Profec, Apexi AVCR, Blitz DSBC etc. etc.

For me, my personal preference for a decent boost controller with reliable solenoid would be the GReddy Profec B spec II. I've had excellent results on many different turbo'd cars with those. I've personally seen a number of AVCR solenoid valve failures, usually resulting in further damage.

I wouldn't buy a several hundred pound boost controller on it's own though, especially on a jap spec Supra that doesn't really need one to begin with. I've fitted and mapped a MAP ECU 2 piggyback on mine which does boost control as one of it's secondary functions - much better VFM IMO.

Cheers,

Brian.

Well my last turbos were stage two hybrids, these i think are hybrids, but at stage 1 second hand. My last turbos, well the second one blew:(, when [as you have mentioned], the solenoid valve failed, causing a boost spike to 0.4-0.5 bar over the rated pressure knackering them in a right royal fashion:tongue:, even giving me the supra death whine lol.

My friend runs a profec on his gt4 st205, and all in all i have heard no complaints, im just a lil worried if , i have another solenoid failure, im going to be in my garage for hours sorting it out, and out on the street begging for money to buy another set of new turbos:Pling:

just a quick one, Do you think i should change from an evc hks controller, to something else, or stick with it, opinions much appreciated

Which HKS EVC boost controller is it? The latest version is the EVC VI, there have been a number of versions of the HKS EVC over the years.

Post a pic if not sure so we can identify.

The HKS EVC's are generally good, I use the latest EVC VI in my own car, I've also used a couple of the older versions of the EVC and other boost controller models over the years.

Well my last turbos were stage two hybrids, these i think are hybrids, but at stage 1 second hand. My last turbos, well the second one blew:(, when [as you have mentioned], the solenoid valve failed, causing a boost spike to 0.4-0.5 bar over the rated pressure knackering them in a right royal fashion:tongue:, even giving me the supra death whine lol.

Are you sure it was the solenoid at fault? Normally if they fail they close completely and basically your boost will drop back to the base level. A 0.4-0.5bar increase in boost could simply be down to colder ambient temperatures.

The EVC has a warning feature so it should warn you with a light and alarm if it overboosts.

Hey nic, it was the evc IV. I replaced the valve and all seems ok,, before there was no controll of the boost, Knowing my luck it was a hand of god lol

This one?

http://www.broadwayautoclinic.com/images/dr-hksevc4_phpYXSNRC.jpg

or this one?

It's just that HKS Japan and HKS USA call both these the EVC IV (which is helpful :complain: )

How are you sure that the turbos are hybrids?

How are you limiting the boost base level? On j-spec turbos (and hybrids thereof), the wastegate size will result in boost-creep when the car is fully decatted - a restrictor ring would be needed to keep just enough restriction in the exhaust to limit the boost, for example, to 1bar. A boost controller would then be able to happily raise the boost from that, but bear in mind that a boost controller can only raise boost, not lower it.

Also, I wouldn't bother changing your boost controller - for the level of tuning you're at they're all much of a muchness.

Oh, and if they are hybrids (be very very sure!) then you may want to think about upping your injectors and employing some kind of mapping, like an e-manage.

How are you sure that the turbos are hybrids?

How are you limiting the boost base level? On j-spec turbos (and hybrids thereof), the wastegate size will result in boost-creep when the car is fully decatted - a restrictor ring would be needed to keep just enough restriction in the exhaust to limit the boost, for example, to 1bar. A boost controller would then be able to happily raise the boost from that, but bear in mind that a boost controller can only raise boost, not lower it.

Also, I wouldn't bother changing your boost controller - for the level of tuning you're at they're all much of a muchness.

Oh, and if they are hybrids (be very very sure!) then you may want to think about upping your injectors and employing some kind of mapping, like an e-manage.

Well bob, i have a restrictor ring in the exhaust, when i bought the turbos, i got the reciept of the gentleman, for the hybridisation, he took them off to convert to a big single, so im sure mate, im not sure what level of tuning you think im at mate but i do have 550cc sard injectors bob, and also an hks fcon v pro ecu controlling that side of things mate. Also to add im running hks 264 cams on the exhaust and inlet and also an hks type r fmic, decats, stainless down pipe and exhaust straight to the rear, so i am past the bpu stage and really as far as i can go [ obv a few more mods out there] on the sequential system but soon looking to change the set up possibly to a big single, or big twin but im still undecided

And love the plug miami, and nic it is the top picture mate

Are you able to list your EXACT modifications? It sounds like some significant ones have been made.

So you have an Fcon - who has mapped this in the UK? It would have needed a remap on arriving in the UK due to the different fuel type we use here and there are only a tiny handful of people that are able to do this in the UK (5 I think), We know them all ;)

I don't see any benefit to changing your boost controller unless it's been proved as faulty. The HKS EVC is perfectly adequate of controlling boost on the stock TT system.

well heres a quick list,

Decat

stainless down pipe

stainless to the back box

sard 550cc injectors

twin hybrids.

hks fcon but needs changing because no one local can map this,

hks type r fmic

restrictor ring

hks super flow induction kit

hks evc Iv the top pic of nics post

hks 264 cams exhaust and inlet.

hks iridium plugs

rps six puck clutch and flywheel

Thats pretty much it bar the greddy oil filter relocation

no one can do the fcon v, [ i wrote pro like a muppet] Not even abbey have the programme because of this i need to change it, i bought it of a gentleman in december, not sure where he got it mapped though, i have tried everywhere, and no one can, unless you know anyone to try. I have been talkin to thor performance in wolverhampton , and they suggested i change it to a motech or aem unit.

will get a pic of the fcon up tommorow, not going in me garage now lol

no one can do the fcon v, [ i wrote pro like a muppet] Not even abbey have the programme because of this i need to change it, i bought it of a gentleman in december, not sure where he got it mapped though, i have tried everywhere, and no one can, unless you know anyone to try. I have been talkin to thor performance in wolverhampton , and they suggested i change it to a motech or aem unit.

will get a pic of the fcon up tommorow, not going in me garage now lol

How do you know they are hybrids? Every person I've know who has so called hybrids, upon pushing them to over 1.2 bar and blown them has turned out to have stock turbo's. Surprise eh?

Re mapping - Thats simply not correct. HKS have 5 authorised mappers in the UK.

From your posts in the past I thought you were a mechanic and knew what you were talking about? From what you've posted it sounds like you know f*ck all about engine management, let alone forced induction - no offence like, but based on what you've said you need to wind your neck in.

If you talk to a tuner like Thor then of course you're going to get pushed to spending 1, 2 or 3 grand (maybe more) on a 'proper' ECU that they're authorised to map; but on your pretty basic setup it's simply unnecessary. Listen to them, listen to "us" here, or listen to yourself. Take your pick.

Sorry of this comes across as aggressive, it's not personal. I've seen this type of thread so many times over the years it just gets boring...

How do you know they are hybrids? Every person I've know who has so called hybrids, upon pushing them to over 1.2 bar and blown them has turned out to have stock turbo's. Surprise eh?

Thats simply not correct. HKS have 5 authorised mappers in the UK.

From your posts in the past I thought you were a mechanic and knew what you were talking about? From what you've posted it sounds like you know f*ck all about engine management, let alone forced induction - no offence like, but based on what you've said you need to wind your neck in.

If you talk to a tuner like Thor then of course you're going to get pushed to spending 1, 2 or 3 grand (maybe more) on a 'proper' ECU that they're authorised to map; but on your pretty basic setup it's simply unnecessary. Listen to them, listen to "us" here, or listen to yourself. Taker your pick.

Mate im insulted, call up abbey tommorow, they can all map the f con v PRO, but mine is just the v [not the v pro] I spoke to abbey themselves then they said it was obsolete basically, they then put me intouch with a gtr speciallist on the south coast who said the same thing.

Im not stupid to believe the first person who tells me i need to change it, i spoke to the experts with the reputations in this field, all who i spoke to said if it was the fcon v pro no problem,, as mine is just the v it cant be done. Comment homer when you know the facts, i was gutted to learn it cant be mapped as it is more cost and with my car i have had enough,

ring them up tommorow they will tell you what i have just said

fcon v pro- thumbs up

fcon v- thumbs down

Darryl, I've read before that the UK HKS dealers are not able to map the F-con V (the older version), they are only able to map the current HKS V Pro.

:)thank you someone who knows what they are on about, dont be so quick to jump on someone, i aint stupid darryl /homer :rolleyes:. and my neck doesnt need winding in, i dont confess to be an expert but i do know quite alot, well enough anyway.

Any chance of an appology mate, that was harsh:(

but i can sort of see where your comming from, but i aint one of those numpties mate

TBH Cameron it all sounds a little strange. If you have hybrids then you don't need a restrictor ring. Again, what is your base boost with your boost controller switched off? If your boost goes silly high like this then your boost controller is never going to help the situation.

You've said you've fitted Sard 550cc injectors, then you mention an FCON V ECU you bought from someone that cannot be mapped / has not been mapped and you don't know for what spec it has been mapped for. If that's the case your car should run like a bag of shit.

There's some fundamental holes in what you're saying so I can see why Homer is getting frustrated...

Cheers,

Brian.