The mkiv Supra Owners Club

should high milage put me off?

Damz

for years (well decade now) ive wanted a supra, only problem is insurance but now im 20, got roughly £8k in the bank + student loans will be coming through and i feel like getting a supra now.

The only problem is that there are almost no supras for sale in the country, there are 4 or 5 within reach, all but one are for stupidly high prices.

Since this is my 1st big car im going for a 3.0 n/a supra and going for an automatic.

there is a supra for sale for nearby from a dealership that has 111,000 miles on it and is an L reg for £2995.

my friend has a supra as well so he should be able to tell if its a duffer or not but if a car has such a high milage should i avoid it?

mate, take some advice from someone whose been there and done that, use your money wisely. Supra's will be around for ages yet, use the student loan on things you need i.e food and clothes. dont see it as free money - you have to pay it back. get a supra when your older and insurance is cheaper.... oh and got for a TT :D only kidding, na's are good too. apparently :D

edit: if you MUST have one, get it from the forum as they will be well looked after, and high mileage isnt an issue ;)

well im going to have to get a car soon and i'd rather buy something i'd want to keep a hold onto for a long time than another corsa or something like that.

I probobly wont be using it as much as my current car as i will be using mopeds for pizza hut instead of my car.

Also the student loans i wont have to pay back, its a bursary rather than a load so im just getting money for free :D

i checked the forum and dont see any cars for sale within reach of where i live.

also what insurance companies would be good? ive had trouble finding cheap ones that will insure an import car and a driver under 21

if your not able to travel your going to be waiting a long time you can have it deliverd round 80p a mile but better see it in person, i went 300miles for mine its worth the travel if you find the car you want, why let it pass when you can take a day to fly or train for less then £100 then driving back round £60.

Mate if the Supe's what you really want then travelling up and down the country to view one shouldn't be at the forefront of your mind.

You get what you pay for i'm afraid to say, but if your just looking at Supe's in your area then your really limiting yourself. Get looking through the for sale threads on here and start using that rail card. ;)

or pay the AA to inspect the car (no dealer would object to this).

I'll be looking for a Supra around mid November time and was looking into inspections. Apparently the AA won't look at a Supra, or indeed any "performance" car.

Anyone know of any other 'engineer inspection services' that will go anywhere in the country?

Thanks...

I'll be looking for a Supra around mid November time and was looking into inspections. Apparently the AA won't look at a Supra, or indeed any "performance" car.

Anyone know of any other 'engineer inspection services' that will go anywhere in the country?

Thanks...

Unless they've just changed their criteria thats tosh, i think their service is well overpriced, for not a lot of checking. Why don't you guys try meeting up with supra owners in this forum when looking at cars in other areas.

Guest dangerousandy

Hi, I am 25 and I could not get insured on a Supra until I was 24, and then it was my UK-spec TT. believe it or not, it would have cost me twice as much to insure a NA import Supra just because it's imported and not uk spec!! when I was 18 I had a Jaguar XJ-S 3.6 and that cost me the best part of £2000 to insure as a named driver on my dad's insurance!! why not try a Celica or an MR2, build up some serious NCD and then buy the best car ever to be exported from japan!!!!

toyota supra TT 61.JPG

xjs.jpg

Asking nearby forum members sounds like a cracking idea. ;)

This is from the AA's website:

*Not available for large 4x4s, sports/high-performance cars or any vehicle on a total-loss register.

I would be willing to pay a forum member for their time to look at any Supra's I fancy taking a look at.

was looking at this car myself, it was overpriced to start with at 3500 or 4 cant remember, the alloys were absolutely wrecked on it when it just came in and it wasnt the cleanest inside. I stay 2 mins from there so had a good look.

My advice, keep checkin here and autotrader, and be prepared to travel. I ended up goin down to Blackpool for mines and have never regretted it! Got a 94 Auto non turbo for 3500.

Wouldnt say the car was worth the money but each to their own!

You will love the car once you get one tho, believe me.

need to find an insurance company that will insure me 1st

Hi mate

I am 20 and just got insurance for a modified Twin Turbo Import from Admiral at £1650 for 10 months (bonus accelerator)

Just fill out their online form, and remember to add 2 female named drivers with 20+ years driving experience and watch the price sink :-)

Good luck!

---------------------

Oh and I bought the car for £8000 when it had just had a paint job and it only has 54k miles.

I found it on Piston Heads website, which I found many Supra's I liked at, but this was the one that did it for me!